Chapter 131

No, the noise wasn't coming from the top floor as Mukti had suspected. She leaned against the stair case, at the landing between the top floor and the 9th floor, to check the three apartments besides hers and sure as hell, all the nuisance was happening right next door to her.

This particular apartment had been vacant for quite a while, after the middle aged couple who owned it shifted permanently to Australia. 'Must be new tenants' she thought, because in mumbai, once you manage to buy a property, you don't sell it, unless and until, you have to sell it to buy something bigger or grander.

Mukti rang the bell. Well, rang would be too mild a word to describe how she literally banged her arm against the bell, as if doing so would somehow make the bell buzz louder. With each passing second, that the inhabitant was taking to open the door, the temperature of her blood was soaring. How dare someone play such loud junk at almost midnight and how come no one else objected.

Bang..bang..bang.. She rang it thrice, before she finally heard the door lock clink from inside.

The door flung open and someone said "Hello". That was it. That was just it.

Was mukti by any chance, hallucinating? She didn't particularly remember taking weeds. God help her, but she wasn't even drunk. Then how come that nightmare from office was standing infront of her, in another cleavage revealing see through shirt?

Instinctively she blinked her eyes twice.

The cheapo on the other end, was surprised too, for his mouth was drawn into a big 'O'. However, he recovered his composure rather quickly. "yeh main koi haseen khwab dekh raha hun ya haqueeqat mein aap mere rubaru hain?"

Mukti wanted to flex her arm and swing it in the air, before landing it on his cheek with enough zing to leave a gaping dent. She couldn't make out what was bugging her the most - the Honey Singh song blaring away from his apartment, his totally out of place Urdu, his unpurterbed demeanor, including that fucking see through shirt or the fact that he was here, in the apartment next to hers. And suddenly she started panicking..

"What the hell are you doing here?"

" Yun to aapke yahan aane se is tanha raat mein char chand lag gaye hain par pareshaan to main yeh sochkar hun ki khuda itna hamdil kab se ho gaya? dua dil se zubaan tak aayi bhi na thi aur usne farishte ki tarah aapko bhej diya? "

It would have taken her a good 10 minutes to decipher his statement. So she didn't even try. "Can you please cut the crap and tell me in a language I understand, what the hell you are doing here and who gave you the permission to play a song so loudly at this hour of the night?"

"This is my new home. I just moved in..."

"No way, you can't be serious.. This is not happening. I am not going to be neighbours with cheapos like you."

Ok, so she was his neighbour. What a stroke of luck! It would be fun to hang around her, and the more she barked down at him, rolling her eyes to full effect, the cuter he found her. He had seen enough life and dealt with enough people to understand, those who tend to hide behind a wall of anger are more often than not, softies inside. But of course, he didn't want her to know that he could see right through her aggression. Not so soon at least.

"With due respect to your thoughts mam, Mumbai doesn't belong to either you or your dad. Neither do I think you own this apartment. And because I have paid my rent and a hefty security deposit, I believe I have earned my way here. So my humble advise to you would be, get used to seeing this eye-candy around."

"Eye candy my foot" Mukti stomped her foot and turned around to leave. His witty and sarcastically polite answer had left a burning hole in her stomach. She had so not seen this coming.