Chapter 125

A/N: I would request you to watch each of the attached videos...

*********************

But slowly the lights began to dim, diluting her entire frame, leaving the sharp contours of her face, in the mellow darkness.

The friends were expecting Navya to put up an out and out filmy performance, may be a 'bole chudiyan'... 'London thumakda' or 'Mahi ve'. They were gearing up to even join her. That would have perfectly complemented her dramatic persona and the mood of the night. . But instead, when the forlorn notes started pouring in from the piano and the first few words escaped her lips, an eerie silence fell over the place.

She had always been a powerful vocalist. Had destiny been kinder to her, had she not had to fend for her child , if just like her friends, she too had the liberty of choosing her career, may be, today she would have made a name as a singer.

They listened, mesmerized, as she glided through the lyrics, giving life to each word..& each melody. While everyone had slipped into a trance, the only person who didn't like it, even remotely was Ranbir. Thank God he didn't belong to the musical clan, for unlike them, he didn't get so engrossed in the song, that he couldn't notice that it was far from being just a performance.

Those lines

"Mujhe aazmaati hai teri kami

Meri har kami ko hai tu laazmi

Zameen pe na sahi

Toh aasmaan mein aa mil

Tere bina guzara

Ae dil hai mushkil

Maana ki teri maujoodgi se

Ye zindagani mehroom hai

Jeene ka koi dooja tareeka

Na mere dil ko maaloom hai"

They stuck him like someone was banging a hammer on his chest. She wasn't singing, she was living those words. At times we carry more than one person in us and the moment she had taken center stage, her true persona had over ridden the other one, the one she mostly carried. They say we can lie to the whole world, but not to ourselves, and that's how Ranbir knew that the real her, which only came out when she sang, was hurting and melancholic. Those words had come from somewhere deep within her, but then who was it that she was longing for.. Was it Cabir?...The one she desired to meet in heaven. He had read so many shades of love, he was seeing so many of them in Manik and Nandini, yet, the kind of love that Navya had for Cabir was unique and divine. Not only was it one sided, but it also defied the boundaries of space and time. She loved a dead man, who even when alive, couldn't have loved a woman.

All of a sudden, Ranbir grew serious, experiencing this intense urge to protect Navya. It no more mattered to him that women were naturally complex creatures, it didn't bother him anymore that love demanded more sacrifices than it gave pleasure. In this moment, all he wanted was to see a smile on Navya's face and be the reason for it.

She finished to a thunderous round of applause and by the time she walked back to her friends, she had already become the usual bubbly Navya.

Everyone complimented her, except Ranbir. Nandini gave her a tight hug, Manik acknowledged her with a smile. Mukti patted on her back but Ranbir, he made a weird face at her and remarked "Yeh gaanaa gate hain sangeet pe???.. Aise depressing one sided love wala gaana?!! Matlab galaa aur akal ek sath to kaam kar nahi sakte na tumhare."