Chapter 66

"Manik....."

"Hmm" Manik was completely lost in her. In fact they both were so lost in each other that they hadn't noticed the afternoon turn into evening.

"Manik, will you fulfil one more wish for me though it is not part of the game?"

"You have more??" He teased her.

"Can you please take me back to the place where we fought. I threw away the shoes..."

"Don't tell me you want to pick them back. They are gone."

"Please Manik.."

"Are you crazy, they must be all dirty and wet. Forget them, I will buy you few more pairs" She knew they were as special to him as they were to her. It wasn't about the shoes, but the emotion attached to them. They had been his first gift to her, how could she just throw them away. He was hurt, a tiny part of his heart still held on to her words subconsciously & they would bother him, once he would be away from her. Who could understand it better than her.

"I don't need 5 more pairs, I just need that one, and I want to bring them back even though I may never be able to wear them again. I was mad, I said things that I didn't mean, just to hurt you, I hurt your hand and didn't ask even once. I wanted to pick the shoes right then, I wanted to kiss your hand but I was scared you would scold me.....please take me there."

Did he have any choice after her monologue?

They drove through the dark winding roads to that spot. Perhaps it was a new moon day for it was pitch black outside and Manik had to switch on the torch in his mobile, even to take a single step ahead. He was still trying to figure out how would he bring the stars for her and mentally cursing all the fairy tale books that planted this idea in the mind of young girls. I mean you talk of equality and then again you wish you boyfriend to be a superman.

As Nandini was busy looking for the shoes and he was preoccupied with his thoughts, he sighted a stray firefly. Bingo!! He couldn't thank Nandini enough for having brought him here. He took out a transparent plastic bag, one of the two nandini had brought to carry the shoes back home. While Nandini was still busy with the shoes, he slowly slipped away to catch a few fireflies and held the plastic bag behind his back so that she couldn't see it. The only other thing he needed now was some water, even a tiny stream would do.

"Nandini, have you come here before?"

"Yes I have, its not so far from my place so I have come here on morning walks, but why do you ask?"

"Do you think we would have a stream or something nearby?"

"Yes there is, I think odd meters away on the left, but why do you need a stream now?"

"Uff, you ask way too many questions. Are you going to carry those dirty shoes back home?"

"You mean we should wash them first, but then they will get wet na Manik... chiiii"

"What chiiiiii... what are you carrying that plastic bag for?"

Manik had no clue why or from where this army of fireflies had come, but they were coming thick and fast, as if they were here just to meet them. The place was desolate, except for the lulling wind, rustling leaves, chirping crickets and the twinkling stars. Why was it Sunday night already? Why couldn't it be Friday again. When she was with him, time just flew away. He wanted to spend every waking hour with her. For that matter he wanted to have her close even when he was sleeping. She had given his aimless life a direction, she had brought a whole new meaning to his wayward existence, infused colours into his monochromatic days and filled up a void, he didn't know existed. Now that he would have to go back for 5 days, it was killing him. Why couldn't he just buy a house in Panchgani and stay here for good. May be that wasn't a bad idea after all. He could just work from here on most days and only go to Pune if and when required. But things like these took time and for now the only option he had was to leave her. He still had the night though.