Chapter 128

"Bhai kahan hai? All good...us princi ne kuch naya drama to nahi kiya?"

"Are yaar us princi ki to aise ki taisi...kameene ne suru kar diya tha but yeh jo tera chota packet hai na, by God kya acting karta hai...princi ke hath se aise case nikal li usne jaise churi se troufle cake kat raha ho...we are on the way dude...will be there in less than an hour."

Manik took a sigh of relief. Ranbir had managed to pull the stunt, so they were going good with the planning and execution. He looked at his watch, as he heard chachi nag in the background. They'd have to leave now. He took one last glance in the mirror.

******

They reached the venue, bang on time, thanks to Chachi's constant nagging but unfortunately they were the only ones to be on time.

"Chachi dekho, aap mere jaan ke peeche pari thi, that I was getting late, aur ab dekho, Where's Nandini.. Nandini ko choro, there's no one here."

Chachi smiled. "Aadat dal le ab tu. Shaadi ke bad aisa hi hona hai.."

"You mean, she will keep me waiting like this always?" he asked innocently.

Chachi tapped on his cheek playfully.

"Kuch to bolo chachi...aise darao mat.."

She grinned thoughtfully. Every man, irrespective of whether it's a love marriage or arranged, whether he has practically grown up with his bride or merely seen a couple of her photographs, invariably& inevitably goes through these moments of self doubt. As a society, we are conditioned not to address or even recognize these feelings because MEN ARE SUPPOSED TO BE STRONG AND IN CONTROL all the time, but that's just a carefully constructed myth, because in reality, everything that affects a girl, affects a man too, they both feel intimidated and overwhelmed because this is as new to him, as it is for her and they both have no clue of what's in store ahead. While we do feel for the girl, for the home and people she is leaving behind to embrace a new relationship, to build a new home, seldom do we accept, its just as hard to let go as it is to let in. And letting in means, he would have to smile through all the little changes she would bring in and soon her ways would become his, and his life..theirs.

As they settled in chairs in the empty mandap, chachi patted on his back and said "Shaadi na filmon ki tarah nahi hoti Manik, uski koi script nahi hoti...balki shaadi to na ek diary ki tarah hai, jisme har naya din ek blank page ki tarah hota hai, aur usme kya likhna hai, yeh sirf tum dono decide karoge. Acha ya bura jo bhi ho, tumhare haath mein hoga."

Manik listened intently, marking each word she said and then asked "Chachi I want to write the happiest story in that diary....because Nandini deserves all the happiness in the world. I don't know if I can.."

"Tujhse zyaada khush use duniya mein aur koi nahi rakh sakta... par sirf Nandini kyun, tu bhi deserve karta hai duniye ki har khusi, aur sach kahun to Nandini se zyada. Use to humne pyaar diya hai par tere hisse ki khusi to bhagwan ne samhalkar rakhi hai...ab denge tujhe, double doze mein. . Bas ek baat yad rakhna. Dosti, pyaar aur shaadi mein thora sa difference hota hai. Insaan to wahi rehte hain par halat badal jaate hain. Shaadi se pehle aap ek dusre mein unka best dekhte ho aur ek dusre ko apna best dikhaana bhi chahte ho. Aur kyunki aap hamesha nahi mil pate, to jab kabhi milte ho, wo waqt special hota hai kyunki us waqt aap apne saare problems pare hatakar bas ek dusre pe focus karte ho...par shaadi ke baad, aap chaho bhi to hamesha best bankar nahi reh sakte. Fir aap jo ho, wahi ubharkar samne aataa hai. Fir aap kuch waqt ke liye problems ko bhul nahi sakte..balki saath rehkar unhe solve karna seekhte ho..wo special wali feeling nahi rehti fir.."

"IS it difficult chachi? Wouldn't we get bored of each other then?"

Chachi couldn't help but laugh his fear off , not because it was unreasonable, but because it reminded her of the jitters she had felt years ago. No matter how much we change with generations and time, at our core, basic human instincts remain the same. Manik was asking her the same questions, she had asked her own mother, on her wedding day, dressed up in a heavy lehenga while eagerly waiting for mr. Moorthy.