Chapter 54

"Nandini" He held her hand as she was getting up. "Tumhe kuch kehna tha ?"

"About what?" She asked, bent over him, her long tresses touching his face.

"About anything....about yesterday?" Her actions had spoken louder than words yet he longed to hear it from her, he wanted to see her blush for him, trying to look away from him. He could do it every single day of his remaining life and still want more.

"No nothing.." He noticed a shadow of a smile that she brushed aside even before it could touch her lips.

"Are you sure?" he lingered.

"Leave me Manik, let me make some breakfast... and there's nothing I want to say." She freed her hand from his grip and turned towards the kitchen.

"Then I have something to say." Manik said loudly and her heart skipped a beat.

"What?" She asked, facing away from him. Would he? After 3 years, her ears were dying to hear it in his live voice. Only she knew how many days and nights she had spent listening to his recorded voice. At times it felt like yesterday, at times forever.

"Laters" He got up and followed her to the kitchen. "And by the way, you are not cooking. Just because you are a little better at the moment, don't act as if you are ready to run a marathon. I am so done with hospitals, I swear I am not going to take you to one again, so u better take care of yourself." He overtook her and opened the door of the fridge "There's enough food here for 3 meals, but for now let's manage breakfast and we can have lunch outside..." he paused "provided you are up for going out."

"Yipppeeeee!!!" She squealed in joy. While she was wise beyond her age, her heart was still stuck at 15.

They ate breakfast watching Tom and Jerry cartoons on her laptop and they both rolled, sometimes on the floor, sometimes on each other, laughing.

When we are with people we love, even the most mundane chores, the plainest of things become extraordinary. How badly she had missed him. Now when she thought back, she wondered, how had she actually survived? But she was thankful to her own self for dragging itself till this point. She was eternally thankful to her Aiyappa and Navya.

Nandini took time to dress up. She chose a white crop top and a pink floral long skirt. With a childlike excitement, she twirled infront of Manik, asking for his opinion. This was the first time Manik had seen her in anything other than a plain kurti (except for her engagement night, which he anyways didn't want to remember) and she was literally looking like a doll. He couldn't remove his eyes from this adorable girl. She asked him to take a picture of hers and when he obliged, she almost snatched the phone from him to check herself. Then, much to Manik's surprise, she nodded her face as if disapproving of her choice and went inside to change again.

 Then, much to Manik's surprise, she nodded her face as if disapproving of her choice and went inside to change again

When she emerged, Manik noticed that she had changed her skirt, from the pretty floral pink to a plain red. He liked the earlier one more but he didn't mention it to her. This time too she twirled and asked for a photograph. Even though she was taking forever, Manik was enjoying it.When she looked at her photograph this time, she smiled.