Chapter 70

"Bhaiyaa ek plate kanda poha dena" That's how a city changes you. That's how Mumbai was changing Ranbir. From a leisurely makkhan wala paratha at 11 to an earthly kanda poha at 5 in the morning. Ranbir was beginning to love these early morning walks, sometimes in and around his complex in Lokhandwala, sometimes along the juhu beach. Today he had driven to Bandstand after a late night house party at Mukti's place.

This was the only time in the day, when one could actually hear the sound of waves crashing against the rocks over the honking cars, the only time when the roads were remotely deserted and Ranbir loved to watch the city wake up from slumber and slowly get back into its groove.

His days passed in a blink and before he could track one day, the next would hurriedly roll in. But even in such a short time, he had seen a lot, both literally and otherwise.

He had driven around Mumbai, he had been to Powai for his interview, which he had cracked more than comfortably and was slated to join from today. He had also been to Bandra and Nariman point to different night clubs with Navya and Mukti and to Andheri to witness Navya transform seamlessly into RJ Navya Naveli. He had thoroughly enjoyed those two hours in the radio station, listening to the soulful voice and words of Navya. This girl was rustic and completely unpretentious, she clearly lacked the finesse of a girl born and brought up in a metro but

Beneath her jokes and heavily accented Hindi, lay a very deep mind and when she went On- Air, this facet of her clearly took over. He loved the time at the radio - station more because in Navya, he saw Cabir. For a while he felt like he was watching RJ Bira and that invariably brought a smile to his face.

He had met all the members of FAB5, known some of them(Alia & Dhruv) and understood the others (Mukti). All of them except the one his brother loved the most, his jigar da tukra, Manik. No, Cabir hadn't been Partial towards any one of his friends. Infact, he had been universal property, each wanting to claim a piece of him and he he gladly indulged them but when it came to him wanting someone to protect him, it had always been Manik and Mukti in that order. He knew Manik could fight the whole world for Cabir, well in a way he had, and not just the world but death too. He was the last one to see his brother alive, the only one to save him at that point. Manik was to Cabir, what Ranbir could never be.

He so wished, he could meet Manik again, just one time. He wanted to hug him and thank him for all that he had done for his brother....For having stood by him when his private video clip with Raghav came out in public, for always standing by him like a rock when the whole world mocked him for being gay, for letting him occupy his heart and his home when their own mother had thrown him out, for pulling him back to life when he was steps away from committing suicide, for hundred other things he knew and thousands that he didn't. If only he could meet Manik one day ...

In his thoughts he had forgotten to eat the poha which had now turned completely cold. He ordered another plate and prepared to drive back home as it was close to 6.30 and he didn't want to be late for his first day in office.