Chapter 38

Navya was even more scared seeing Mukti like that. "Mukti, Mukti...kuch nahi hoga tumhe...." She grabbed her arms and tried to pacify her but Mukti showed no sign of calming down & Navya knew exactly why. She had experienced the same shock merely hours ago, she knew how it felt to suddenly sight someone who was long dead.

She was confident she would be able to resurrect Mukti, but what she was no more so sure about, was Cabir or his ghost. Agreed , she was under the influence of alcohol earlier in the day, but there was no way both of them could hallucinate about the same person and especially now, when Mukti was perfectly sober.

It couldn't even have been a joke, no way, not after all the misunderstanding they had just had.

And fact is, no matter how ardent a fan Navya was of her mother, this seeing-the-dead-before-you-die theory was a little farfetched and more so because now both of them had experienced the same thing.

"Mukti, hamari baat suno, samhalo apne aap ko....kuch to baat hai, hume iski gahrai tak jana parega"

Mukti couldn't bring herself to say anything. She was still struggling to breath, reeling under the shock.

"Chalo hamare saath..." Navya got up and pulled Mukti by her hand. Together they rushed downstairs, Navya taking the lead and Mukti more than glad to follow her.

Navya looked around the restaurant, especially the place she had seen him in the afternoon. It was chock a bloc with people, but he wasn't there. They checked the lobby, the reception and every nook and corner of the ground floor. He wasn't there as well. Tired, they stepped out of the lobby for some fresh air when they saw a guy, with his back facing them, speaking to a taxi driver. He had some luggage with him.

Even from behind, the guy looked uncannily familiar. He was just about to step in the taxi when Navya ran upto him and grasped his hand. Surprised, the guy turned around and Navya, beyond shocked, almost collapsed. Mukti, who was till now simply following Navya dashed ahead to hold Navya from fainting.

"Cabir!!!!!" they cried in unison.... And so loudly that the poor cabbie chickened out and drove away.

He quickly overcame his initial shock and remarked "O hello, koi mujhe batayega yahan chal kya raha hai? Yeh cabir kaun hai bhai aur tum dono drama queen itna over react kyun kar rahe ho?" Then turning to the taxi that was no more there, he raised his arms in the air, in sheer frustration "Sala yeh taxi!!! itni mushkil se ek mili thi, aur is drama party ki wajah se who bhi gayi hath se. Teri flight to gai Ranbire!" He tried looking for another taxi.

By now, Navya had recovered and she grabbed his hand once more. "Cabir!! Tum to... tum zinda ho?"

The guy was losing it. "Ajeeb sample ho yaar, bola na main Cabir nahi hun, dhakkan ho kya?? Samajh mein nahi ata?"

Mukti couldn't control her tears. Three years ago if God had given her a choice to either have Cabir back or live her life, perhaps she would have chosen Cabir at the cost of her own life. That was how much she loved him, more than any girl loved her brother in cheesy bollywood movies and he was not even her brother, not at least by blood.

Without saying a single word, she just hugged him.

That was it. He just lost it. He shrugged her off with such force that she fell on the ground. "Leave me alone you psychos"

Mukti started wailing "cabir juk ja

Mukti started wailing "cabir juk ja...Cabir please mat ja...Cabir" she cried out. Navya hadn't ever seen Mukti this desperate and it broke her heart to pieces. If she wanted to, Mukti could hit any damn guy hard enough for him to see stars in broad daylight, but infront of this guy who looked like Cabir, she was as helpless as a newborn baby. No she wouldn't let this happen to her friend.

She briskly walked up to the guy and without an iota of hesitation, gave him one tight slap. "Tumne sahi kaha, tum Cabir nahi ho. Tum cabir ho bhi nagi sakte kyunki Cabir apne doston ke liye jaan de sakta tha, tumhari tarah unpar hath nahi uthata tha. Par tum jo koi bhi ho, meri dost ke sath dobara ye karne ki kosish mat karna, mata rani ki kasam hum bhool jayenge ki tumhari shakal Cabir se hubahu milti hai. Dafa ho jao yahan se."

She bent down to console Mukti, who was still crying like a child

She bent down to console Mukti, who was still crying like a child. The guy started walking away, but 15 steps later he stopped. 

He turned around and shouted "Mar gaya tumhara Cabir, mar gaya mera bhai

He turned around and shouted "Mar gaya tumhara Cabir, mar gaya mera bhai...hamesha ke liye..woh kabhi wapas nahi ayega"

************

"Where's dad?" Manik asked his servant the moment he stepped inside his home.

"Bare sahab to office mein hain, unko aane mein der hogi, aapko dinner kar lene ke liye kaha hai" He replied, trembling in fear, keeping his eyes glued to the ground. Manik was infamous for his temper and all the staff at his home as well as office were scared of him. They had had a taste of it as recently as that afternoon.

"Ok, Dad laute to mujhe bata dena. And dinner room mein bhejdo." The servant obediently nodded his head, still not able to look at Manik, leave alone look into his eyes. He began to hurry towards the kitchen.

"Suno.." Manik called him.

The poor fellow closed his eyes in fear. What next, he thought, his heart thumping loud and fast. He wasn't ready for another fit of Manik's unstoppable rage.

"Wooooo...wooo.. Sorry...I was rude in the afternoon" he handed him a chocolate bar "for you...for your kid" The guy looked up, first time ever in Manik's presence. Had the sun forgotten to rise today or was he hallucinating.

"Sorry yaar.." This time the words came much more easily, no hesitation and little shyness. Manik smiled... holding his guitar close to his chest. 'One down, 5 more to go' he muttered under his breath and swiftly climbed up the stairs to his room.

The servant stood there dumbfound. He had just witnessed a miracle.