Chapter 93

By the time Dhruv reached the front driveway, Alya's car was nowhere to be seen. She had not waited for him today, even though they had come together and she was supposed to drop him back.

Whatever had just happened inside, the way nasty words had spilt out, it still didn't sink in how fast the situation had spiraled out of hands. Dhruv had not seen this coming, because for the first time in years, Alya had actually been excited about getting together with the old buddies.

Her sobbing face flashed before his eyes. He had to find her before the night turned any more disastrous. 'As for Manik and Mukti, they have Ranbir', he thought with a hint of sarcasm 'in addition to Navya and Nandini!'

Her phone was switched off so he took a taxi and went straight to her home, hoping that she wouldn't have ended up in a random place with a random stranger. But then Alya wasn't like that, she was more likely to be found holed up in her house with a self-inflicted pain. She wasn't an extrovert like Mukti or Cabir or even Manik. She was a recluse like him, though her flashy appearances spoke otherwise.

****

He knew she was inside, even though she didn't respond to the door bell. He knew because he saw the night lamp flicker in her room on the first floor. He had been here so many times in the past 3 years that he knew how to get in from the back porch, through the kitchen window.

He sneaked past the kitchen to the living room and tiptoed up the stairs in complete darkness like a thief. He could have called out for her, but then, Alya being the fiercely private girl that she was, would have locked herself from inside. She sure as hell wasn't in the mood to entertain anyone right now, not even her good friend Dhruv.

He peeped into her room and there she was, just as he had imagined, curled up on the bed, her head held low , chin settled in the curve between her folded knees.

"Alya" He softly uttered her name, loud enough for her to hear but soft enough to not scare the daylights out of her. In any case she lived alone in that huge mansion all by herself, her staff left by evening and the only person she could call family, her brother 'Harshad' had permanently left for New York three years ago.

She looked up, frozen in her place for a brief second, till she recognized his voice.

"Why have you come here. Don't you get it that I don't wanna see anyone." Her voice was knotty, she had clearly been crying for a while.

"I know, but main aise hi wapas nahi ja sakta tha Alya, I was worried." He said as he took baby steps inside her room, not intending to piss her off with his uninvited presence.

"Worried? Yes you should be worried for your friends, why worried for me? I am to just the villain in the story right."

"Alya, mat kaho Alya. You are my bestest friend yaar." By now he had moved close enough to the bed. He pulled her in a lose hug from the side and started rubbing his hands over her shoulders, to comfort her.

"Want a chocolate?" He was trying to divert her mind off the topic.

"Why are you trying to be so sweet to me Dhruv? It looks so fake because I don't deserve it. I am a jealous bitch." She fought back with a raised voice, wiping her tears. He wanted to make her feel better, but seeing him, having him around, made her cry out even more. Dhruv, who was the quietest amongst them, possessed the rare gift of reading minds by merely observing the faces. He knew she wasn't crying out of sadness, but because she was guilty of having said those things to Mukti who had always looked out for her. He knew she hadn't meant it, nor was the anger directed at her. Alya was hurting inside and for a long time now.