Chapter 76

She told Manik that he himself had chosen to go alone to Denmark because he didn't want her to miss college and get stranded in a foreign country. She mentioned how their lives had been scattered in his absence, how the friendship which was once thicker than blood slowly turned into water, but she didn't mention, that part of it had been caused by Nyonika. She told him about accidentally meeting him, not that it was Neel who had acted as an unintentional cupid. She narrated about her school, their meetings, her hospitalization, their tiny little fight and their wishes, but only in as much detail as she could in Ranbir's presence. She also told him that she had wanted to tell him the truth before but had stopped herself remembering his doctor's words of caution.

Ranbir on his part, spoke about his life before encountering Navya and Mukti in Delhi and how his life took a sudden turn post it.

Manik sat still, unmoved. He let the words flow in without putting up any resistance to block them off. But then it was one thing to be a passive listener and another to let it all sink in. Nandini had always seen this coming, but Ranbir's heart sank. In the last five days, he had seen Manik bubble with joy, crack stupid silly jokes, tease them all and be teased in turn, despite being in physical pain. But the Manik who was sitting infront of him today was a morose, battered, defeated soul.

He couldn't hold it anymore and stood up "Manik, tu salaa aise looser types acha nahi lagta yaar. U are not looking handsome bro. Aur thori der aisi rondu sakal leke mere samne ghume ga to I swear I will start crying too. Chal give me a hug."

It took Manik a while to filter out what Ranbir had just said from the shabby realities he was being force fed. He stirred and then stood up to pull Ranbir in a desperate hug. He didn't care that his body was sore, that when he pressed against Ranbir, his bruised flesh sent out pulses of shrilling pain down his spine. They both trying to find Cabir in the other. Manik was holding onto someone who was an inseparable part of Cabir, who carried the same face, the same goodness, the same warmth. As if, by hugging Ranbir, he was somehow being able to touch the soul of his departed friend.

And Ranbir was letting go of years of sorrow, repentance and guilt. Yes, he was the identical twin, yet it was Manik who had always been closest to his dead brother, until death and beyond. This hug wasn't just a hug, it was like a home coming for them both, a silent promise that come what may, they will watch each other's back.

Nandini who was watching this, couldn't hold back her tears. For the first time in so many years, she felt like she wasn't alone. She couldn't help wonder, family is not always blood, friendship is not always defined by who we are or where we come from or how long we have been together. Ranbir was a practical stranger to them and yet he felt more deeply for Manik than his decade old friends. Where were their respective families, his dad and her kins? All they ever had were each other and perhaps that's how it was meant to be, that's why destiny always threw them back together.

Neel had been right that one time, when he had called Manik her wounded prince. He was definitely wounded, and he was her prince, but it was amazing how every time he had risen above his own wounds to protect her. This time too he would do the same, she believed. She was no more angry with Ranbir, rather she was glad. But she was afraid too, a fear she couldn't share with anyone. She had told him the half-truth, what if.... What if he remembered it all? Would he understand her?

She couldn't take any more for now, she had already stressed herself to a run down state, both physically and emotionally. She would cross the bridge when she would come to it. For now, she just wanted to be close to Manik and breathe in.

***************

"What's this man, we are waiting here for an hour now, why are you so late and where's Manik and Nandini?" Mukti charged at him as soon as Cabir walked in to the café where they had planned to meet to execute their plan.