Chapter 95

They were still sitting by the ocean, huddled together, when Manik dropped the bomb. "You know what Nandini? I should call dad... "

The moment she heard his dad's name, her fuse went off. Gathering herself, she tried to subtly persuade Manik against the idea "Dad ko achanak kyu? I mean suddenly?"

"I have not spoken to him properly in two whole weeks, unhe to abhi tak yeh bhi nahi pata ki I had that accident and meri yaddash wapas aa gayi hai. Bas ek dad hi hain jinko meri fikar hai, cz jise actually hona chahiye tha, wo to.." His voice trailed off.

How would she tell him, that he was doubly misfortunate, that his father too was a player and had played with them all. Despite knowing Manik's whereabouts, when they had asked, or rather begged, he had mercilessly shrugged them off. Even when Manik was struggling to find his identity, he had kept him away from his past, from music and his friends. Unable to think straight, she blurted out, in a panicky shrill tone "Abhiiiiii....abhiiii to 12 baj chuke hain Manik, itni raat ko dad ko kaun phone karta hai. Wooo to so rahe honge."

"Chill Nandini, why are you getting so hyper, 12 to India mein baj rahe hain. London mein to its just about 7.30 pm. Yaad hai us din jab tum talli hoke chipmunks ki tarah 'mummy daddy' kar rahi thi, tabhi dad had called. Par tumhe samhalne ke chakkar mein, I couldn't talk to him. And after that life got so action packed, phone karne ka time hi nahi mila."

"How mean Manik!! How can you even blame me for that night. You know maine jan buj ke tamasha nahi kiya tha, the drinks were exchanged" She got up in anger, pulling herself away from him.

Manik stood up after her, brushing the sand off his jeans "Are......I was not blaming you, I know you didn't do it, I didn't mean that, I was just kidding yaar."

"Yeah, I understand very well what you mean. Sab larke ek jaise hote hain..." She was walking fast, pretending to be super pissed off. Her mind was in knots. With all the mess they were already in, she didn't want this one to add up. Heck, if Mr. Raj Malhotra got to know that Manik was back with her and Fab 5, he would not just ADD up to their miseries but EXPONENTIALLY INCREASE them. She couldn't push Manik down that road, at this point of time, when he didn't even have the safety net of his friends to fall back on.

"Why are you over reacting yaar, I really didn't mean it that way?" He almost had to sprint to catch up with her.

"Over reacting!!!! Seriously Manik?? I am over reacting or you are being typically mean."

Poor Manik, who wasn't aware of the mini tornado inside Nandini's head, was wondering what had suddenly triggered the 'moody woman' syndrome in her. Was she PMSing again? Merely moments ago she was talking all sweet and wise , she had even sung him such a beautiful song and now she was walking away in disgust, as if she had caught him cheating with another girl. 'Itni jaldi to weather bhi nahi badalta jitni jaldi inka mood badalta hai' he thought, not daring to utter it though.

"Nandini, why are you running, wait!!" she knew this fake argument had no substance in it, and would soon frizzle out. She had to think faster for a more substantial distraction.

Just as Manik reached out for her hand, she turned around and ran in the opposite direction, shouting at the top of her voice."Aiyapppaaaa.......Help!!!! Mouse!!!!

Manik stood there, hapless, hands pressed on his hips, watching her jump up and down. Nandini's paranoia of mice was well known to him, he himself had used it a couple of times to his advantage. This is exactly how melodramatically she reacted on sighting one and hence it didn't strike him as odd that she found a mouse on the beach and that too under darkness until much later. For a while he honestly tried to locate the rat, but as was bound to happen, he found none. That's when he turned to Nandini demanding an explanation. "Nandini ruko. He ran after her and pulled her in his arms after over taking her.