Chapter 77

She had never seen him this quiet. It was terrifying. The moment Ranbir had dropped them, Manik had walked straight into his room and stayed there, all curled up on the couch. It didn't go unnoticed, the disgust on his face when he saw his room, stripped bare of every single memory from his younger days. But he didn't create a scene, like his older self would have. Perhaps, he was too tired even to speak. Nandini's heart was crumbling. She had been strong for way too long but her strength was running thin now. She was exhausted, battered and bruised, if not more, then just as much as Manik. Not too long ago, she had met this blank Manik and little by little, she had turned him around. Overcoming her own accumulated anguish of three years, she had helped him script a new story for them. She had brought back his smile and his music and all of that had now gone down the drain.

She sat next to him, wrapping her arms around him and gently stroking his back. The worst kind of missing is to miss someone, when they are sitting right next to you. Even when Manik had forgotten everything and he had met her like a stranger, she had seen the glimpses of her old lover in him, but today, despite getting his old memories back, he was a like a living corpse. Cold and distant, he had put up a wall around himself. How would she break through it?

"Manik are you angry with me?" She spoke very softly. She needed him now, she desperately needed HER Manik to hold the ground for her. How, she had no clue. how can a man who has just been told that he had lived three whole years away from friends and love, without a single memory of it, just get up and pick up life from where he had left. But she also knew that if anyone in the world had the power to rise above his own sorrows, to shine for her, it was him.

"Won't you talk to me Manik?" she was choking.

He still didn't respond. He hadn't spoken a word since stepping in. He hadn't enquired about Nyonika, he hadn't asked about his friends, he hadn't even asked her, why she was still here post-midnight. He had shut everything and everyone out. He had slipped into a zone. It was understandable, and that made it all the more painful for her.

Nandini, feeling utterly helpless, did the only thing she could. Still sitting next to him she played this song. Music was the only thing that could reach where she couldn't. Music had always rescued him, from his darkness, his anger, his insecurities and his sorrows. Music had always been his saviour and she hoped it would save him one more time...penetrate those walls and strike at his heart....

Pal bhar thahar jaao

Dil ye sambhal jaaye

Kaise tumhe roka karun

Meri taraf aata har gham phisal jaaye

Aankhon mein tum ko bharun

Bin bole baatein tumse karun

'gar tum saath ho..

Agar tum saath ho

Behti rehti..

Nahar nadiya si teri duniya mein

Meri duniya hai teri chaahaton mein

Main dhal jaati hoon teri aadaton mein

'gar tum saath ho

Teri nazron mein hai tere sapne

Tere sapno mein hai naraazi

Mujhe lagta hai ke baatein dil ki

Hoti lafzon ki dhokebaazi