(Chapter) unknown

I took a sip of my coffee and scrolled through mine and Emma's messages, and hardly realized I was smiling to myself. 

There was a knock on the door, and then it slowly opened, revealing a red-head that looked like she was around our age. 

"Uh, hey. Who are you?" I asked her, setting my cup of coffee down. 

"Hi. I'm Madeline, but you can call me Maddy." She smiled brightly, walking towards Emma. 

"Okay, does Emma know you?" I asked her, and she smiled sheepishly. 

"She doesn't know who I am, but I know her. I promise I'm not a stalker. She's kind of my role-model, I mean, she's super popular now. She used to be just like me, shy and not real self-confident." She said, and I felt my heart ache, just thinking about Emma.

"How did you hear about the accident?" I questioned, standing up from the seat and walking around next to her. 

"I wanted to talk to Emma, ask for a few pointers on grabbing a life I can actually live, but she wasn't there. Her mom said she was in the hospital, and told me which one, so I came to check on her." She explained. 

I clenched my jaw and balled up my fists; but when I looked down at Emma, my expression softened. 

"I knew that idiot of a mother wasn't any better than she was before. You could have been a murderer or something." I seethed, my gaze burning holes in everything I looked at. 

"What are you talking about?" She asked, drawing her eyebrows together and looking at me quizzically. 

"Nothing, it d-doesn't matter." I stammered, before taking Emma's hand in mine.

Maddy shrugged, and at that moment, the doctor entered the room. 

"Can you excuse us for a moment?" He asked, his tone flat and emotionless, but his eyes pitying and sad as a nurse made herself visible beside the doctor. 

Maddy and I exchanged a glance before nodding and leaving the room. 

My heart was pounding mercilessly against my chest, threatening to break free. 

"I hope everything's okay." Maddy said, chewing on her thumbnail as we sat in the waiting room. 

"Me too." I said, my mind exploding with scenarios that killed me. 

I heard loud beeping, and then all of a sudden the beeping went flat. My mouth dropped open and suddenly every sound was blurry. My vision became hazy with tears and I sobbed, calling out.  

"Emma, Emma no!" I whimpered and I covered my face with my hands. 

"Brody, Brody listen." Maddy said, rubbing my back. 

"Brody, Emma isn't dead. It was someone else." Maddy reassured me.

I let out a relieved sigh. I know I should be upset about someone dying, but I couldn't help but be thankful it wasn't her. 

"Thank pineapples." I heard Mandy mumble under her breath, and I chuckled. 

"Pineapples?" I asked her, and she turned to me with a scowl.

"Don't make fun of my vocabulary!" She said, crossing her arms tightly over her chest and kicking me in the Shin.

"Ouch! I wasn't even making fun of it!" I exclaimed, rubbing the area she kicked. 

"Sorry." She said, but the grin on her face and occasional laugh made me think she was the opposite of sorry. 

"No you're not." I mumbled irritably. 

She giggled, "You're right, I'm not." She said, before cracking up. I mock-laughed, and she turned to glare at me, but it wasn't long before she started laughing hysterically again. 

***

@symberella was the winner of the comment contest thingy. Her character is Mandy, and Mandy should be in this story quite a bit. 

Thanks for the three thousand reads on this sequal, and the 40k reads on the first book, I can hardly believe it. I was flipping out with excitement when I first got a hundred reads, or even a thousand,  but almost fifty thousand, just wow guys. 

I'm so thankful. And btw, the end of this book is far from now, I want to continue this on for a while. Mostly because I really like this book, even with all of it's flaws. 

And also, yesterday, my all time favorite author on here, @sakz15 followed me, and I was so freaking excited.