loneliness and a promise || Bruce Wayne

Requested by; BugLuck01

;;

Bruce has been too busy to spend his spare time with his wife. She understands that he got a whole lot of things to do for almost 24/7, from his responsibilities at Wayne Enterprises to being Batman at night and keep the town he loved since forever safe.

She was being patient, being a good, understanding wife that she is. She always replaced and cover him at a meeting if something urgent happened.

But now she slowly got sick of it. The first time she told him she was a little lonely because it felt like he was trying to push her away he promised her that they would spend the next day together on a date or just cuddling in the bed as they binge-watching their favorite shows.

Sure, they were in their 40s but they still act like teens when they are alone.

When the day came, he suddenly told her he couldn't, he was too busy tracking where the Penguin's hideout was with a guilty look. As a response, she gave him a smile and told him it was fine, that she understood.

"We can do it another day then," she said.

Then the second time, "I know I promised but I can't today, I'm sorry darling."

Then the third, fourth, fifth, sixth....and so on. He got used to neglecting his promise, he wasn't exactly the type of person who would do that, she knew it.

Maybe I didn't get my point across? She asked herself as she stared up at the white ceiling, the spot beside her was empty and cold. Bruce hadn't come back yet, he was still in the cave working on something.

She was aware of how soft she was being to her husband, she just couldn't bring herself to get mad at him, she didn't want to add more weight to his shoulders. Sure, they had their disagreements here and there at some points in their marriage but it was never that bad. They would hug it out or---kiss it out after giving each other some space to cool down.

Tonight, he also promised that he would at least be there before she went to sleep, it had been weeks since the last time she saw him before she went to bed.

Yes, she was clingy.

Then again, who wouldn't?

Every woman can be clingy at some point, especially when their partners rarely spending their times with them anymore.

Her eyes landed on the digital clock by their bed after she rolled over to lay on her side, a pillow in her arms to cease her loneliness, "it's almost 2 already?" She snuggled further into the blanket, "damn it Bruce."

"What?"

She squeaked as she frantically sat up upon hearing the voice of her husband.

There he was standing in their bedroom entrance, the door opened wide before he stepped in, he closed the door behind him and locked it with a soft click.

His wife didn't say anything, she watched him making his way over to their closet, stripping out of his shirt to change before joining her on the bed.

She felt the bed dipped as her husband lay himself down, slipping inside the warm blanket.

"Are you just going to stare or sleep?" He asked tiredly, there were bags under his exhausted looking blue eyes along with really damn obvious dark circles.

She bit her lip, holding back a squeal of happiness.

Finally, for once, her husband kept his words.

She practically throwing herself at him, arms went around his muscular torso, squeezing the large man close to her. Despite having a small figure, she had quite the strength.

"I really thought you weren't going to be back anytime soon." Her voice was muffled by his chest that she had buried her face into. "I thought you weren't going to keep your promise again."

Bruce let his arms circled around her body, returning her embrace. His chin rested on top of her head as his big hand gently patting her head, it was like they were dating all over again like they didn't have any kids sleeping in the rooms a few meters from theirs.

"I didn't mean to make you feel lonely or anything," he whispered into her soft hair, inhaling the scent of her shampoo before he felt her lifting her head, a wide smile gracing her beautiful face making him sigh, she still hadn't changed.

Except for the soft wrinkles on her face.

She was still as beautiful as ever.

She tilted her head up a bit more, planting a soft kiss on his chapped lips. Her hand went up to cup his face, she could feel his strong cheekbone beneath her palm. "Don't sweat it, at least you didn't break it this time."

Bruce leaned into her touch, his own hand settled itself on top of hers. He realized how much he actually missed her, even though they shared a bed, saw each other every morning, talk to each other, he couldn't enjoy her presence properly because of his work. The dark haired man slightly turned his head to the side, kissing her rough palm.

Yes, her palm wasn't soft, not like the other rich women his wife was a hard worker. She always helped Alfred with chores, cooking, fighting intruders when he or his kids weren't home, patching them up, and so on. Her hands were her witness.

She snuggled back to him as he lifted up the blanket over their bodies properly, she closed her eyes, smile still on her lips. "Can you sing for me?"

"Anything."

Bruce started to sing 'Hey Jude' softly, he knew the song thanks to his wife for playing it at least five times a day, he enjoyed it too anyways so he didn't protest. There was one time where she told him she enjoyed the song a hundred times more when he was the one who sings it to her, it made a blush coated his cheeks.

The hand on her lower back soothingly moved in a small circle, lulling her to sleep. She deserved it after all.

And anytime you feel the pain,
Hey, Jude, refrain
Don't carry the world upon your shoulders,

His wife shifted softly in his arms, letting a soft giggle that always causes him to chuckle lightly, and he did just that as he sang.

Hey, Jude, don't make it bad
Take a sad song and make it better
Remember to let her under your skin
Then you'll begin to make it better,

He started humming the rest of the song as soon as he heard her snoring softly, her leg slipped in between his, seeking for more of his warmth.

She truly missed him.

Bruce didn't stop his humming, he felt himself drifting off into a deep slumber. He needed rest, he would probably end up waking up above 8 AM, he usually always up early. Either Alfred woke him up or not, but with his wife in his arms like this?

He could stay in bed forever.

;;

I put a reference in there, heh...heh