Shouto Todoroki {Monster AU/Vampire}

Requested by: LittleAngel3110

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The buzz of cicadas died around him. His boots crushed the undergrowth, moulding it into the earth. Nearby, in the shade of a few forbidding trees (dangerous things, which would easily conceal vampires or other such creatures), there was a circle of mushrooms, inside which sat a young woman. The expression she adorned was one of absolute peace. He startled, reaching for the glinting dagger hidden within his robes. He knew full well that looks could be deceiving. The female made no indication of life - there were no breaths, not even the subtlest, and her eyes were almost zipped shut. She perched on the borders of life and death, legs crossed in deep meditation.

Hunting was often a tedious and tiresome job, yet witnessing something so sublime, so beautiful, was definitely a first. She was obviously a vampire. No mere human could even hope to reach her level of perfection. Her plump lips exploded with colour; they were blood-red, despite the overall paleness of her features. (H/c) hair flowed from her head, ghosting her shoulders and delicately shaping her face.

Sensing an unfamiliar presence, you motioned to the circle. 

"It's reserved."

He sighed, thankful for the icebreaker. For a few moments, he said nothing. He only stared. You cracked open a single eye, relishing in the beauty of the hunter before you. Instantly, he became captivated - ensnared in your gaze. His hand ripped away from the dagger. He couldn't kill such a beautiful creature. He refused to. His family could stuff their ridiculous traditions.

"Why are you here? Why haven't you run? You know what I am, don't you?" He questioned, watching carefully for any hint of danger.

A strange sound, sort of like laughter, passed your lips. "How should I begin, hunter?"

After realising that you weren't in the least bit concerned about being around one of his kind, he relinquished, shuffling slightly, but eventually settling down in front of you, just outside the circle. It was amusing - fairy circles were supposed to retain goodness and block out evil. Perhaps you were different to all the other vampires, the typical, blood-sucking, rabid, feral animals that prowled at night, drawing protection from the moon. In his short, sixteen years of life, the young hunter had sought to kill as many of those beasts as humanly possible. He was conditioned into believing that they drove his mother insane, and turned his older brother into a vampire. The image painted on the stained-glass window of his mind was one of utter carnage - dismembered bodies lying in the blood-soaked grass, heads tumbling down hills, or sitting uncomfortably on spikes on the outskirts of twisting towers. They were fashioned to be cannibals. God had not envisioned them at creation. They were the work of the Devil and his henchmen. Yet, this woman didn't display any of the conventional characteristics. Not as far as he could tell, anyway.

Instead of glowing crimson eyes, with a hungry, predatory look, you possessed simple yet wonderful (e/c) orbs. Rather than being ferocious and lashing out upon discovery, you remained calm, even as he observed you more closely. There didn't appear to be evident surprise, worry or fear. You hadn't yet attempted to flee, nor had you endeavoured to maim and devour him. Although you looked quite dead, you sounded very alive. He wondered if you had been mortal once, or spawned into an unfortunate line.

"Tell me why the fairy circle. Aren't they supposed to represent good? Virtues?" He asked, in an almost wistful tone, which quite alarmed him.

If you noticed, you failed to mention it. "They are called 'Ronds de Sorcières' in French, or 'Hexenringe' in German. Do you know why?"

Shaking his head, he responded, "I only know Japanese."

A smile carved your lips. "They are associated with witches, fairies or elves dancing. Folks of old often warned against treading into one. You could be cursed or killed. It was said that, if you entered one, you might become aware of the elves; it could put you in thrall to their illusions."

"Have you ever seen one?" He enquired, leaning forwards slightly.

"I'd like to. I was rather hoping to dance with them." You commented.

Todoroki frowned. "Isn't that dangerous?"

You opened your eyes. "I can deal with a few malevolent spirits."

Placing your hands together, you glanced at the surrounding woodland, half-expecting something to pop out of the darkness. Possibly an elf, or a fairy, confused and angered to find a young woman in their ring - their private space. Perhaps a dragon might fly above you, maybe you would be slain. You had always been a curious, adventurous soul, so risking a second death was nothing extraordinary. You had no parents to speak of, and therefore nobody to advise you against such scandalous activities. You hunted when hungry, slept when tired, played when bored. Your appearance and lack of pulse were all the indication than you were brilliantly different. You knew this boy's intention, but his resolve had already burned out.

"Would you care to hear a rhyme?" You asked, standing with the grace and elegance of a snow-white swan.

He nodded in confirmation.

"He wha tills the fairies' green

Nae luck again shall hae :

And he wha spills the fairies' ring

Betide him want and wae.

For weirdless days and weary nights

Are his till his deein' day.

But he wha gaes by the fairy ring,

Nae dule nor pine shall see,

And he wha cleans the fairy ring

An easy death shall dee"

Todoroki thought that was a little strange, but decided not to question it. Instead, he allowed your commentary to flood his ears. He realised far too suddenly that he enjoyed listening to the sound of your voice; it was clear and certain, calm and collected, girlish but not squeaky. He felt comfortable enough in your presence to flutter his eyelids shut.

You stated, "A traditional Scottish rhyme, which summarises the danger of fairy rings."

He hummed, but didn't bother to form any coherent words. Thinking back to that day, he remembered everything in vivid detail, especially the parts that concerned you. During the subsequent days, he approached the same clearing, trying to find a sign of you. He wanted to see you. Desperately, and he wasn't too sure why. Obviously, his family knew nothing of his exploits. When about two weeks had passed, Todoroki hauled himself up to the fairy ring, sitting beside it. His mind wandered. He pondered over your enhanced abilities - would you be able to hear him? Did you possess immortality? Could you shape-shift? Were you a telepath? Could you control nocturnal animals or spread plague? Would you kill him if ever he caught you again?

While he was having an existential crisis, you watched from within the shadows of the trees. Their branches curled around your body, twisting so as to grant you sanctuary. You briefly wondered if he might crawl into the fairy circle, in an effort to draw you out.

He didn't, and for some reason, you felt very grateful. 

[Word Count: 1184]