Mezo Shouji {Male Reader}

Requested by: lynx-potato

Trigger Warnings: M*neta, Gender Dysphoria, Possible Transphobia (courtesy of M*neta), Anxiety, Use of Dead-name (D/n).

Transgender: Sense of personal identity differs from birth sex; mtf, ftm. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey, girl! Why'd you look so down? You're usually really hyper and stuff." Mina's words were bullets to your heart. After a moment, she lowered her voice to a whisper. "Ah! Is it PMS?"

"Um...no." You shuffled around uncomfortably, rubbing your arm and trying not to throttle her. "I-I'm not...I'm not a girl."

Confusion painted her face for the briefest of seconds, before she burst into a fit of laughter.

Forget heroism. I might actually kill someone today. I planned to come out today, but not like this! And she's making fun of me! Why am I being punished for wanting to be myself?

"Of course you are!" Mischief sparkled amid her eyes, and suddenly, she appeared behind you. "See! Look at these!"

A blush settled on your cheeks. "M-Mina..."

You don't have to remind me that I still have them! I hate them, but top surgery is so expensive! My family doesn't even know I'm trans, and I'm still a minor, so they'd have to give me the go-ahead! They probably wouldn't, and I'm terrified to even ask!

"Oh..." She smiled, hands still clutching your chest, in order to prove her point. "I get it! You don't think they're big enough, right? Hey, don't get so upset. It isn't the-"

"Please be quiet!" You were eternally thankful for the lack of ears tuning into this conversation. "You've already triggered me enough today, and it isn't even noon."

I wanna curl up into a ball and die...

Yet, there was difficulty in mentioning the root of this, and why it proved such an issue. It felt as though you were clinging to the shreds of your assigned gender, as some crude attempt at deception. You were terrified to lose Shouji. Absolutely terrified. Your entire being trembled at the mere thought, anxiety threatening to smother your heart. This was something you needed to clarify. It was so, incredibly important, but it was almost inevitable that he wouldn't accept you. All this time, he had effectively been lied to, placed under the false presumption that he was dating a female. How disgusted...how horrified would he be when you unveiled the truth?

It was an anguish-inked endeavour - even on paper, so why had you figured that gathering together your class would be any easier? Mina probably spilled secrets in her sleep, so you couldn't trust her to keep her silence throughout the day. That forced you into coming out earlier than you were mentally prepared. Tears were nearly shed, in that moment. You honestly wished you hadn't invited the discussion. People would surely laugh and humiliate you, just as Mina had. Some of your classmates were unforgiving, relentless in their torment.

Was there chance to recant your words...to start the day afresh? You could cry pitiful tears in the solitude of your room, while smiling brightly and continuing to respond to a name that could never resonate with your soul. That was how you survived for years. Why alter your routine, only to accommodate for the tyranny of those who wouldn't consider you a 'real man'? But...in a world of billions, of wonderfully unique people...did that still hold meaning? Did it ever?

What about Shouji? I can't lie to him forever...can I?

"(D/n)?" The glare she received was fierce enough to make her question every word she had ever spoken to you.