Yo Shindo

[A/N]: I'll try not to make anything too sad, but if I do, here's why - I'm asking my crush out on Sunday, and I fully expect to be rejected. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I can't do this anymore."

Your muffled sobs rang out into the night.

"I knew you never truly loved me, but I let myself hope. How could I be so stupid? I can't do this to you, or to me. It hurts, so, so much. Please don't pretend to love me." You gave a nervous laugh, voice trembling. "When I confessed, I was so scared, did you know that? I thought you were amazing, handsome, smart, kind. I really did. I wasted two years of your life, but I'm leaving now, so you don't have to pretend anymore."

Clearly bewildered, your lover stood there in the rain, water seeping into his clothes. He remembered that time so vividly - you brought him underneath the cherry tree, smiling anxiously, and professed your undying love for him. He regarded you as one of the cuter girls in class, so he agreed to be with you. It made you so very happy, but he never really reciprocated your feelings. You started to notice that he was becoming distant, both physically and emotionally. He never once uttered those all-important words, the ones you so desperately craved to hear tumble from his lips. Still, he was with you, and that felt like enough. However, he attempted to spend as little time with you as possible, never organising dates, never being alone, never speaking more than a few words in your company. Still, you were drawn to him, without really knowing why. He missed your birthdays - both of them - and, although he accepted your gifts, you later heard that they had been dumped somewhere on campus. You tried blocking out all the noise, praying to whatever entity was out there that nothing gossiped was true.

His bright black eyes illuminated your world, but they soon began to dim. He spent hours and hours with your classmates, but never bothered making time for you. It was only now, reflecting on your actions, that the memories started to hurt. You had been excusing him for two years, but you couldn't do that any longer - he had been intimate with more than a few people since the beginning of your relationship. He displayed the utmost nonchalance when in public, even daring to kiss another girl in front of you.

A stream of tears followed you that day.

Shindo watched you walk into the night, solemn and alone, hands veiling your face from view. You were crying again. As if realising that his eyes were still attached to your figure, you sped up, breaking into a run and disappearing behind the fog. Shindo remained motionless, numb, hollow. The most eloquently-spoken, heartfelt words wouldn't turn back time. Not now. His heart began to splinter. Finally, he was feeling something real, something suspiciously like regret, maybe even pain. He had loved you, genuinely, but he hadn't the faintest idea how to prove it, not when you always seemed so uncomfortable, so sad. As for the other girls, he had taken a tip from someone - they told him to make you jealous, that way he could ascertain whether you were willing to fight for him. He missed your birthdays, because he was chasing his dreams. He threw away the packaging of your gifts, never the gifts themselves.

Now nothing would make it better; you were gone, and for good - that much had been clear.

You were tired of constantly trying to please him, only to feel unloved and unappreciated. He never said "thank you" or apologised for missing out on so many things - you invited him to everything, but he was always busy. He avoided your eyes, for fear of acknowledging the deep depression gradually seducing you. Those two years changed you dramatically. After crying and bawling, complaining and making excuses for him, you had finally snapped. You weren't even convinced his family knew about you, but yours knew everything about him - every little detail, from how his onyx eyes reflected the sun, to the perfect curvature of his muscles.

His mind swam with all the things he wanted to scream out into the night.

He had been rooted to the ground while you silently and hurriedly stalked away.

What on Earth had he done?

[Word Count: 701]