Momo Yaoyorozu {Male Reader}

Requested by: Lance_Needs_Friends

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm not going to make it, Momo..."

Nine years, nine turbulent yet joyous years had accumulated to frame this very moment. You regarded her with an air of serenity. It was finally time to bid her farewell, and to join your fallen parents. You would ascend into paradise, a fantastical land in which all this pain, all this suffering just evaporated. And your last breaths...you saved them all for her. You hoped she wouldn't mourn, but judging by her tear-soaked cheeks, that would be too great a request.

"Not yet, please! Just stay...stay with me. Come home. Please...! I want a lifetime with you." The cracks punctuating her voice became your sole source of grief.

No part of you followed instruction; your ailment had summoned the Reaper at last. In a few short moments, it would lay claim upon your soul. But until then, your loyalties remained with Momo. "There's a...a book I want you to have. You still...like to read, don't you?"

"(Y/n)!" She cried, distress permeating every aspect of her demeanour. "You must save your breath! If not-"

"It's a brown...leather-bound journal. Take it, please. And read it when...when I'm..." A fleeting glance toward the heart monitor seemed to freeze her entire world.

How could something...so cruel, be unravelling before her very eyes? Had she displeased a god? Or...had she simply failed you? If only the clock-hands could be forced back...Alas, death was natural, and no amount of pleading or bargaining could ever hope to reverse it. Real life and mythology were two separate entities.

And...for the first time, she had exuded a level of disobedience, when asked to vacate the premises. She wasn't prepared to leave you, cadaver or no, in the care of strangers. What if they...messed with you? Replaced all your organs with newspaper? Buried you...somewhere remote, somewhere without easy access? What if she could never find you? Never...bring flowers, never...weep at the foot of your grave? She needed...needed to be there, right there with you, throughout the whole process. But this was denied. She stood her ground, maintained authority as your lover. So she was escorted from the building, limbs flailing, skin coated with tears. Why...? Gods, why...?

Despite the usually-comforting crowd, the dormitory felt barren in your absence. Temporary absence, she tried to assure. But it was useless. After all, she had borne witness to your...

No, it didn't even bear the recollection.

The door to your room creaked open, allowing her to step inside and bask in your scent. Those sheets...oh, how she longed to be wrapped up in them, once more. And on the balcony...you had stargazed together, for many nights. This loss...she would never accept it. You were always her inspiration, her motivational speaker...her guide. You were everything. You were beyond that.

Awaiting the eyes that were dulled and dampened by sorrow, was the journal you had mentioned. It rested atop your bedside table, calm and unassuming. Never one to disrespect your privacy, she would have left it. But...you had asked her to rifle through its pages, to uncover all its secrets. It was a testament of your unbridled devotion...a final requiem. There was sweat upon her brow, and although the wind didn't howl, her body still trembled. Did she even want to look? Did she want to read this...the sweet, heartfelt messages surely inked for her? She was alone now, and despite your patience in life, the image of you floating around her head implored that a decision be made with haste.

She unclasped the book.

17/3

HI, Momo! It's (Y/n). I'm not sure when you'll get this, but by the time you do, I probably won't be beside you anymore. I'm truly sorry. I'm so, so sorry, baby. But...there's no use dwelling on that, right? I mean, we've both known about my condition since we were children. We knew it was terminal. I was never going to live past seventeen. So...I'm glad I asked you out when I did! Could you tell how nervous I was? God, I was sweating so much! I put everything on the line - my sanity, our friendship, my happiness...but I knew that I had to make you mine. And I know...I know how selfish that was, because now I've gone and left you alone...but, I love you. I can't even begin to describe just how much. But I'll try! I'm going to leave notes for you in this book, so hold on to it for me, okay? Maybe, when we meet again, you can return it to me? Don't rush though. You'll make a wonderful hero someday, Creati...and I would have been so honoured to take you as my wife. Live a good life, for both of us! I'll be cheering you on from up there!

18/3

I'm back! Did you miss me? God, I love you. Did you know that? I want to kiss you again. That was always one of my favourite things, you know? It just felt...right. Did you feel safe with me? I hope you did. Well, that day is fast approaching, or so the doctors keep saying, so now I'm writing this for both of us! Think about me really hard when you read this, alright? Maybe then I can be with you again, in some form. You'll know when I'm there. You were always so, incredibly clever. My clever Momo. It feels so good to write that. Does it feel good to read? Okay, my grandparents are screaming again, so I guess it's time to go! I'll talk to you later!

"No, don't go!" She screamed, as if her desperation might manifest as a key to release you from Death's cold shackles.

5/7

I started a little earlier tonight, so hopefully this entry will be longer than yesterday's! I love you, Momo! I really want you to know that. I'll say it every day, for the rest of forever. If you ever hear my voice, respond to it! It won't be the loss or the sorrow speaking...it will be me. It will always be me. I promise! Have I ever broken a promise to you? I can't even imagine doing that...you're so pure, so sweet. You're...everything I ever wished for in a partner, so hold your head high and always recognise your worth! I can only say so much, and then it's up to you. Believe in yourself, like I believe in you!

A page or two for each new message, each new day, months' worth of writing religiously...the meticulous condition of this book...your agony must have been unbearable by this point, but you never gave up. You wrote to her every day without fail. She couldn't contain her misery. 

You always included those bittersweet words.

"I love you."

[Word Count 1123]