Izuku Midoriya

Trigger Warnings: Depression/Anxiety, Self-Harm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The heavy burden in your heart had just been released, but now it was shattering. The boy you yearned for was difficult but genuine, dense and cute, tender-hearted and welcoming, but his heart didn't belong to you. It never had, and although rejection was at the forefront of your mind, staining your every thought like bitter coffee, you felt immense pain. It was terrible having to live knowing that such an extraordinary person, one you regarded with such adoration, did not - could not - return your feelings. Tears of the purest blue pricked at the corners of your eyes. You wanted so badly to let them out. You wanted to be in isolation, knife or razor in hand, hacking away at your skin, particularly the sensitive flesh of your inner thighs. That had always been a part of yourself worthy of great shame - you briefly wondered if they were the very reason the green-haired beauty had rejected you. It was an irrational thought, obviously, since everybody close to you saw your thighs as beautiful. It was true. You were stunning, but whenever a second glance was thrown your way, you would become incredibly self-conscious.

You assumed they were judging you - whispering about how fat and ugly you were. An embarrassed and deeply depressed whimper bubbled in your throat. You prayed for sweet relief, no matter the form it took. If death wished to claim you, you would gladly wrap yourself in his cloak. The judgement cast upon your soul would surely be less than the mutterings of high school students. The boy you loved let you down pleasantly, with a laboured expression. It almost seemed as though he was disappointed in his words, but he said them nonetheless. They broke you, fragmented your lungs so that you stopped breathing.

Temporarily.

His smiling visage was stamped on to your brain, and you couldn't scrub it off. Recalling his rejection, you paused in writing. You were currently sat in a classroom, the same one as Midoriya, wondering how things went so south. Glancing down at your blank sheet of paper, then up at the cluttered board, you got the sense that you were supposed to write something. So you did. It was his name, over and over again; once the first page had been flooded with emotion, you moved on to the next one. Every happy memory you shared with him suddenly illuminated your mind. Your eyes glazed over, and you started to sob.

Quietly, so no-one would hear.

You didn't feel like being questioned. What would you tell them? That you were an aspiring hero, but failed to function after a heartbreak? You had enough tact to recognise that this was a mental issue, and perhaps something to be concerned about, but you doubted that would be a sound excuse for your teachers. You needed a few days for yourself, to lead your thoughts astray. This was nothing like a physical ailment, but the pain rained down like a meteor shower. You could have bathed in the pieces of your broken heart. The emotional distress had been completely unintentional on his part, for he never managed to acknowledge the extent of your feelings for him. The charming, charismatic personality loved being around all kinds of people, but he apparently already had someone in mind.

She was cute, you would testify to that, but she was a recent transfer student from Portugal, with little knowledge of the Japanese language. The girl whose name passed you by had enlisted the help of your green-haired love. The freckles outlining his cheeks appeared to dance as he smiled. He was happy and comfortable around her, she had an exotic-sounding name, her features were pleasant, and she was incredibly amicable. Despite being in the General Department, she made a point of trying to prove herself. Tireless efforts were soon noticed and presided over by a higher authority. There was talk of either of transfer or a swap. Midoriya and this strange new temptress had initially met through Hitoshi Shinsou, a personal friend of the wanna-be-hero. The girl fawned rather conspicuously over Midoriya, and their attraction to one another was startlingly evident. You often heard snippets of conversations you were more than happy to ignore. They always concerned the girl, with Midoriya gushing over her less-than-able quirk, or someone in your class teasing the speckled strawberry for his crush.

You showed serious apathy when news of their courtship spread; it wasn't as if you had relented your love of Midoriya, however. You simply didn't wish to be written off as pathetic. Years of fruitless pining and dropping too-subtle hints had unravelled before your very eyes. Once alone, they streamed with tears. You wanted nothing more than to surrender into his embrace, allowing a serene sleep to waft over you. There was a safe haven waiting somewhere - you were certain of this. Perhaps it was on the shoulder of a divine entity, or possibly just a warm bed, that would melt away any and all negativity.

Lying there forever definitely sounded ideal.

You started to become disillusioned with hero society - people relying on others for a secure community, never attempting to resist violence themselves, because a stronger, more legal authority figure would surely handle everything. Eventually. This could take some time though, and what did they expect to happen while they stood idle? Unlike in children's cartoons, the villains weren't likely to remain rooted in place, waiting for their arch-nemesis to arrive. No, they would maim, disembowel - anything they wanted, and not be opposed. Rejection had smacked you in the face - this was a terrifying, and very destructive mindset.

Finally, you understood why so much of the younger generation idolised the Hero Killer: Stain. Drawing broken heart symbols on your arm, you made up your mind. There were some individuals in the vigilante business with whom you were well acquainted. Teaming up with them would be a breeze. The only problem was your mother, the pro hero Midnight. She would be vehemently opposed to the idea. You knew as much. So, you needed to ensure that she didn't find out. A short while later, you mentioned wanting to quit hero training. Midnight, surprised but accepting, told you to focus on your studies and travelling to as many fictional worlds as possible. However, what she remained unaware of was your recent transition to illegal hero work. You wore a mask and a cape, as well as whatever else you thought appropriate - your quirk granted the ability to turn the clothes on your back into extra limbs or body parts.

Hence the cape, as wings were always crucial.

This actually made 'turning into someone else' a lot easier, letting you blend into the framework of society. You passed by Midoriya, Iida and Uraraka a few times, but continued onwards, leaving them none-the-wiser. The innocent green bean was constantly beaming widely, freckles sparkling in the light. The sun then caught his emerald orbs. They shone brighter than any star in the night sky.

That heavy burden wormed its way back into your heart. 

[Word Count: 1181]