Keigo Takami ღ Hawks {3}

"I'll take her back with me. We...we lived together anyway." A little white lie couldn't claim to be quite so harmful - not now.

In order for his beautiful baby bird to flourish once more, she would require round-the-clock attention, provided by someone knowledgeable of her life, someone who would willingly offer her unbridled love and protection...someone who vowed never to force a sense of abandonment upon her. Never again. The doctor neglected to question this, thankfully saving him the embarrassment of being coerced into further conversation with a voice that shivered from heartache.

In that instant, a previously-dormant determination ignited inside his chest. He would rebuild your life together, your sweet romance. If he didn't even try...well, perhaps that would be the universe's way of plaguing him with evidence of his worthlessness - if he didn't at least attempt to repair the foundations of your relationship, whether by curing your amnesia or just starting from scratch, then he didn't deserve you. If he wasn't prepared to venture to the extremes for you, then he would concede that he wasn't good enough, that he couldn't hold a candle to your grandeur. He would cut himself from your life. You didn't remember him, so you probably wouldn't mourn. Gods...that thought alone killed him. To think, after one dreadful decision, after a single moment of weakness...he could suddenly mean nothing to you...

I'll set work aside for now. The Commission can say what they want, but I'm not letting her go. Not again. Not so soon.

You giggled, the sound seeming to caress away any stray tears dripping down his face. "We lived together? Are we related or something? Oh, you're not my brother, are you?"

How much did she forget?

"I-I'm your..." The words caught in his throat.

No - he would spare everyone the overly-emotional display, the unsightly waterworks. He was a hero, for gods' sake! He couldn't act so goddamn vulnerable in public! The only person who ever managed to detrude his masque of confidence was you, and you would often tell him how special it made you feel. So even now, even when you had no memory of him...he would reserve his innermost feelings, solely for you. A small sniffle was all he allowed, because it became impossible to stop. Shortly thereafter, the two of you were dismissed. Hawks was adamant about flying you bridal-style to his house, which, following your inclusion, would morph from a lonely bachelor pad to a home filled with warmth and comfort. He wished to be consumed by excitement, as he should have been...but this was all wrong. The series of events, the manner in which you were to be confined...he would barely even receive any welcome, since his comings-and-goings would be less frequent.

He was resolved to stick by your side, like superglue.

He refused to let you hide from his watchful gaze, until the time was right.

The minute he touched down, a phone was pressed against his ear. It was a little confusing at first, but you could hear a few curt words. He was being reprimanded, but his expression betrayed no concern. At least, not for them.

With a dejected sigh, he settled you on your feet. "Well, dove...I'm taking some time off work to look after you. This is...this is our house. Do you remember it?"

You hated to shatter the ounce of hope bleeding from his voice, but it couldn't be helped. "Um, no...sorry. It's really big, though. How'd you afford it?"

"...So you don't remember my job, either?...Is there anything you do remember?" He led you inside, careful not to startle you as he closed the door.

"Yep!" You sung, and although Hawks' heart should have swelled with rapture, it instead sunk further into a chasm of despair - he knew that he was no longer your missing puzzle piece, the thing you had been searching for constantly, until you met. "I remember my childhood, and apparently everything up until I turned nineteen."

Did I traumatise her that much, her mind purposefully erased me?

He gulped, anxious to scrabble back into your life. "We met...just after your nineteenth birthday."

"Really?" You sounded happy - happier than he could recall you in a while. "Hey, uh...I'm sorry I don't remember you, but I still don't know your name."

"It's...It's Keigo. Takami Keigo. I'm a...pro hero." Usually, pride would coil around his voice when this information was given, but it was nothing more than embellishment; it couldn't have reflected his heart any less.

I gotta smile, right? Otherwise...she'll end up miserable. I can't do that to her. I can't take away that happy look. Not now. I'm such a bastard for ever letting my mission get in-between us.

Throughout this entire interaction, Hawks had remained nigh-silent, any last trace of alacrity dried up. Thus, an extremely sudden shift in character bewildered you beyond words. A smile might have graced your lips, had you not been gifted with such sharp perception. You didn't believe, not even for a second, that he had overcome that intense sorrow. Yet, you couldn't risk triggering something. You were directed to a large couch, while one of those gorgeous, crimson feathers floated towards you, carrying what appeared to be a book. For more specificity, it was a photo album. It weighed down his feather, but he wasn't paying attention. You wanted to laugh, to explain how weird this was, when phones and social media existed, but...that look, that glint of upset intertwined with hope...

...It muted you.

As he flicked through the pictures, often lingering on the most heart-warming scenes - the two of you sitting lip-locked underneath the stars, weaving flower crowns for young hero fans, your utter devastation upon dropping an ice cream...and the next one was Hawks sharing his own - you watched his hands. He had started lovingly stroking the pages, as though yearning to relive those precious moments. You refused to glance up, to get sucked into the kindling fire of his eyes; you knew, somehow, that you wouldn't escape their dreamy sheen.

If only you had enabled yourself to drown in those golden pools, to explore them for an eternity. Hawks was desperate to lay claim to you again, before someone else lured you away. This prospect terrified him, and his wings rustled as the fear shot around his whole body. Couldn't you see, couldn't you understand how much he treasured you? More than fame or money, even the photo album! He needed you - the real you, climbing back into his arms. Forcing his self-restraint, Hawks closed the book. If his tear ducts turned into dams, he wouldn't be capable of battling the flood. He would succumb to the glacial water, and then who would you run to for shelter? If you fell into the homeless population, or the callous hands of a villain...

I thought we would last forever. That we would still be together, even after we died. We made a promise, didn't we...? Don't drop me like I never meant anything to you. Please, don't drop me...

The subsequent days brimmed with bliss.

At least...for you.

Hawks was a surprisingly adept cook, but take-out was on the menu every other day. He tended to your needs with a sweeping devotion. He never failed you, not even once. You also had the opportunity to wander the perimeter of his house, but your rebellious streak compelled you further, far past the invisible barriers erected for your own safety.

"Hey, I've been meaning to ask..." You began, while Hawks traced circles on your arms. 

"These scars...did you - did you do something to me?"

His recovering heart plummeted, and he spent a few minutes just staring, eyes glazed over with shock, hurt and a touch of guilt. When he finally responded, his voice was hoarse. "W-Why would you...think that I...? T-That I...hurt you?"

"Ah, I'm sorry! I was just wondering. I didn't think you'd done anything, but I had to make sure. Can't exactly stay with an abuser...right?" Although you endeavoured to laugh it off, your words did nothing to console him.

His head drooped, as he whispered and sniffled all at once. "R-Right..."

"Oh, yeah!" You giggled, as though the storm had been quelled.

I've always adored her voice, but right now...I can't bear it...

"I met someone today!" 

[Word Count: 1393]