Tenya Iida

Requested by: cronagrell

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Iida, keep to the left!" You had yelled. Directing him to a relatively safe spot, near Midoriya and the damaged pro hero, Native.

As destructive as it could have proven in a narrow alleyway, your quirk, combined with One For All and Half Cold Half Hot, ensured the utmost protection of the blue-locked class president. Your heart ached for the poor boy - his brother was in a critical state, somewhere in hospital, and this brutish vigilante was the cause of his downfall. Ingenium had always seemed a prime example of a courteous, gentlemanly hero. Although you never had the chance to meet your classmate's close confidante, you had overheard enough proud and positive one-sided conversations to point a pretty vivid picture in your mind.

Their family all had variations of the same quirk, with subtle deformities that the uneducated few in society would have perceived as unattractive. For you, however, Iida Tenya was the epitome of handsome and a most upstanding citizen. It amused you just how seriously he presented himself, and you were forced to stifle a laugh every time he exaggerated the movement of his hands. He made an intense fire rage in the pit of your stomach. You didn't expect anything to come of your feelings, since you refused to reveal them, and you figured he was actually quite dense, much like the people he surrounded himself with. Now, lying in a comfortable hospital bed, snowy-white sheets crumpled at your feet, you stared up at the ceiling, indifferently.

Although you desperately wanted to see those three, the nurses neglected to allow you out of your own bed, except to pace restlessly around the room. You knew that they must have been alright, but desired to confirm that for yourself. Your foot tapped against the bed frame, clanging noises echoing off the walls, filling the silent void. Another couple of minutes passes, with nothing of significance happening, save for some bees buzzing around and failing to exit through the multitude of conspicuously open windows. In your haze, you repeatedly muttered, "No, the other way. Go on, you're almost there". Bustling past, hauling trollies and other such items, nurses peeked in to check that you hadn't yet made a dramatic escape attempt. They looked rather concerned, but didn't bother asking you how you were feeling, or if you thought that you might have a slight concussion. You probably did, having suffered a bad blow to the head during the battle. It wasn't particularly debilitating, because your sole focus was on your friends and their current conditions.

Suddenly, a nurse appeared to materialise beside the door. She was an older one, kinder and more empathetic than the rest. Her posture was rigid, face well-aged and cared for. She beckoned you from the dimly-lit corridor, and you were more than happy to oblige. Once you reached her, she told you that she was taking you to see those three boys, even if the other nurses had forbade it. A sense of giddiness welled up in your system, and you practically bounded alongside her, not too dissimilar from a newly-adopted puppy.

"They're all alive and kicking." This was her excuse, and she stuck to it firmly.

The sliding door opened to unveil Todoroki, Midoriya and Iida. All three were situated around one bed - Iida's. Their heads turned as you entered, and they nodded in acknowledgement. You wandered over, leaving the company and warmth of the elder nurse. The corners of her mouth twisted upwards as she vanished behind the door. A question was forming on the tip of your tongue, but it died as soon as you approached the huddled group. A new one was soon posed.

"Your arm...what happened?" You asked, examining the barrage of bandages covering his skin.

Sighing, he responded, "I've decided to leave it alone, as a testament to my shameful pride and inability to see clearly the harm my actions would cause."

His head was lowered disgrace.

"Iida..." You started, limping forwards to sit next to him. "Is there anything I can do?"

A small shake of his head told you everything - he was far too ashamed.

Then, he raised his eyes and silently pleaded with the other two boys.

Midoriya glanced around skittishly, hummed and said, "Well, I should probably call Uraraka and make sure she knows we're okay. Are you coming, Todoroki?"

"Sure." The bi-coloured boy grunted, following the freckled male out of the room.

That left you and Iida alone together.

He coughed awkwardly, adjusting his glasses.

"Does it hurt?" You asked, trying not to shake the bed too much.

"No." He replied. "It could have been avoided though, if only I hadn't been such an idiot."

You chuckled. "Yep, probably."

"I realised that I never actually thanked you. Without your help, we might not have survived." He muttered.

"You three are more than capable of surviving something like that. You didn't actually need me." You admitted, a bead of sweat rolling down your forehead.

He shook his head. "You supported us physically, but also emotionally."

Raising an eyebrow, you uttered, "Emotionally...?"

"Yes. Erm...you reminded me that not only do I have a duty to protect my friends, but also the person I love the most."

You stopped, shaken and confused.

"Person you love the most?" You asked, watching his face flush a bright scarlet.

Apparently, he wasn't meant to say that aloud.

[Word Count: 899]