Shouto Todoroki {Soulmate AU}

Requested by: Shinoni

{Soulmate AU: Fated pairs have marks that correspond with one another, on the exact same area of the body}.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Music had forever resonated with you, its messages sometimes glorious to behold, but often bittersweet. Perhaps that was due to the musical marking decorating your lower arm. In this world, soulmates have a particular pair of illustrations, unique to them alone. Yours reminded of a padlock, the key-shape in the centre being replaced by a quaver (or eighth note, potentially for the less musically-inclined). Where chains once dominated, connecting this lock to your wrist, were a few more, interwoven quavers. This being the case, it was only natural to assume that your soulmate would possess the corresponding key.

Already wide (e/c) eyes strained to find their destiny, as you wandered the halls of UA. Maybe, amongst this most powerful congregation, your soulmate would be walking, gazing out in an effort to hunt you down. The thrill of the chase was exciting, sure, but there were simply no clues! You couldn't possibly hope to locate your interlacing constellation, without the slightest scent of clarity. It was absolutely impossible, and yet the search continued. Your prayers were beamed to any entity that would assist in your quest, but nothing ever revealed itself. No soulmate of yours was veiled within this throng, and so you ambled back to class, a little dejected, but still smiling. No matter what, the joyous tugging of your lips, upwards, would definitely sever any boundaries between you and your soulmate. This was what your mother had always taught, so you'd be damned if it failed.

Drawing towards you that star-cloaked silhouette, destined to sprinkle celestial dust upon your life, was proving to be quite difficult indeed. In the classroom, your gemstones once more flickered with curiosity, intrigue. A couple had already formed, having sensed the tug of destiny immediately, but you were still without a soulmate. A sudden spark of sadness flashed within the suns of your eyes, alerting a certain someone to your less-than-content condition.

The bi-coloured male turned to address you, with a worried edge to his voice. 

"(L/n)...are you alright?"

Blinking once, then twice, you responded, "Yes, I'm perfectly fine, thanks for asking!"

"But...you seem...unwell?" The boy countered, rather hesitantly, which was unusual.

Adorning your signature, overly-cheerful grin, you assured him that all was well within your little world. Lies, every last word, but by the nodding of his head, you assumed him to have bought the story. Although, this wasn't quite the case; Todoroki's denseness couldn't allow him to neglect your innermost emotions, depressive and oh so familiar. However, he respected your decision to brush over the subject, and besides, his own problems called. After all, his soulmate was sitting in the next seat, glowering, burning red-hot balls of fire into his side. Something splintered his heart, upon recalling the details, such as the uneasiness tugging at his strings, or how wrong this all felt, but she definitely possessed the matching mark. Therefore, they were destiny-bound, right?

Yaoyorozu was an elegant goddess, sure, but something was lacking. Reality, perhaps - the love burrowing in the male's heart seemed forced, the entire fiasco was strange. Firstly, the ravenette had approached him with an air of coyness, then she had presented her soulmate mark (a padlock with musical notes), proclaimed her undying affections, and proceeded to follow him around everywhere. Another element which incurred great doubt, was the ever-so-visible smudging of the mark, which was promptly rectified when the female noticed Todoroki's gaze. A swift dismissal to the bathroom, and upon her return, no imperfections could be seen, leaving Todoroki wondering if he was in need of glasses - maybe Iida could provide him with some, just to be sure.

By accident, the bi-coloured male glanced towards your wrist. As to why exactly, that was a little more complicated. Perhaps he simply desired to satisfy his curiosity, or perhaps it was that nervous habit of scratching your wrist, but the moment he looked, his world of perpetual-uncertainty came crashing down, like a galaxy-destroying meteorite had just pummeled it.

Her soulmate mark...

Finally, the understanding was reached - the two of you embodied the perfect musical marriage. How this hadn't resonated sooner, he would never know. Wasn't there supposed to be an instant attraction, a magnetic pull, an innate inkling? An unintentional gasp abandoned his lips, which caused your head to whip around. Apparently, Yaoyorozu had also noticed, because she appeared to shy away, covering her mark with a deceitful hand.

"Todoroki?" You questioned, concerned about his intense stare.

Said male simply reached out an unsteady hand, using calloused fingers to trace, gently, your mark. When he did so, explosions of the finest gold and crimson illuminated your very soul. As his own wrist turned, your doe-eyes widened further, for your tiresome journey had, after all this time, grappled a conclusive ending.

Words failed to describe the exaltation embellishing your features in that moment, as time slowly faded, along with all noise and visuals not pertaining to your one and only: your soulmate. 

[Word Count: 825]