Kyoka Jirou {Hanahaki AU} {1}

Requested by: Serena-cat

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With no appearance of effort, you gallantly shielded her from the villains' persistent attacks. That was the unlucky moment in which it first developed - your most egregious disease. It was, undoubtedly, the Hanahaki disease. As your condition gradually worsened, the coarse petals of Pink Hydrangeas clotted your throat and rubbed roughly against your tongue, yet you refused to allow them passage unless you were under the veil of privacy. Oftentimes, a few blue petals would join the fray, almost as though your heart was apologising for loving her.

Ah, if only that fluttering organ could speak; it might tell her all the things your lips failed to. With every fibre of your being, you loved her. With each thought that permeated your mind, a new round of petals resolved to dispel themselves from your mouth. It was so painful, but you refused to get the treatment. After all, you would lose all romantic inclinations towards her, and that wasn't something you even wanted to imagine. Further, the treatment only removed memories and emotions, not the actual heart or mind in which they had flourished so beautifully, yet dangerously.

You were not, in any capacity, prepared to abandon your feelings. Anyway, in keeping such close proximity (being in the same class, and now together in the dormitories), a particular, pestilent sensation stabbed at you - the absolute certainty that your adoration would manifest again, and that you wouldn't ever be fully liberated, treatment or no.

The radiant beauty, which encompassed her always, infecting your heart and painting your vision with a rose tint, must have possessed some paranormal explanation, for it surely couldn't have been explained away by natural illustrations. However, that was only circumstantial, as your love proved to run much deeper, and command a very rigid constitution. You figured that you would always love her, no matter how she changed her appearance - time would only serve to improve such a magnificently bright and compassionate woman, after all. There were an undefined number of reasons to clarify your love, the majority of which couldn't (with any ease) be orated.

All you really knew, was that you indeed loved her, with an ocean-kindred devotion. And from this, was produced the unfortunate disease, with which you currently suffered. Just one glance towards the object of your purest affections (especially if her eyes, too, ghosted over yours), would leave you star-struck and blinded. She was a grandiose illumination, like a flame, and you had swiftly become the moth, constantly vying for her unadulterated attention. And, much as a moth, you were resolved to die if you did not receive it. She was everything you wanted from life, love, happiness. She personified your deepest, most plentiful emotions. She held within her gentle palm, all the qualities you had come to adore.

As the coarse Hydrangeas, glimmering in the frostwork of the moon, pirouetted off your tongue, they seemed to resemble rose quartz and amethyst - you had never even glimpsed a purple Hydrangea in the wild, let alone one that your disease had fashioned. You noted down the colours, for further examination. You continued home, touching your throat tentatively, at every opportunity, just trying to keep the petals from spilling out. Despite their beauty, they were extremely painful, and you really didn't wish for the ever-present reminder of your unrequited love.

The glittering crystals of Kyouka's eyes overshadowed you by a landslide. Her quirk was awesome and far superior to yours, her quirky personality and adorable little habits rendered you speechless and in complete awe; everything about her, down to the most minute detail, eclipsed your entire being, and yet you didn't care. There was no jealousy, no envy, just love.

A breath of freezing air parted your lips, crystallising as it caressed the night. This slow meander was intended to clear your raging mind, but here you were, unable to think of anything besides Kyouka. Suddenly, your heart recalled a bothersome conversation with your mother, concerning the treatment for Hanahaki.

"Why don't you just get let the doctors help? I know you love this girl, but I don't want you to keep suffering like this!" She was almost screaming from frustration, at this point.

Tears pricked in the corners of your eyes, as you responded in a quivering voice. "I don't want help! I don't want to lose my feelings, or memories! I do love her, and I don't want to stop loving her!"

"You have to! You do understand that you'll die if you don't?"

"That's my choice to make!" 

Shivering, you stuffed your frigid hands into your pockets, silently cursing the sensitive appendages (the cat ears and tail, which formed part of your quirk) that wiggled uncomfortably. They weren't at all used to this sort of weather. After a few more minutes of inner debate, you turned on your heel with purposeful strides. You would wilt away in the dormitories, coughing and spluttering myriad petals, until you could produce no more. Just then, light vibrations were felt through the cloth of your coat, and you pulled out your phone. It was your mother, whose words you were, only a moment ago, reflecting on.

The line was a little crackly, like TV static. "...Yes?"

A knife, keen and determined, plunged into your chest, painting your bosom in crimson. Or perhaps, it was simply the waterfall-tears dripping down your face. 

"Please get back to UA - I'm outside the dormitory, and I'm taking you home. I've talked to the doctors, we've agreed that you'll have the surgery tomorrow morning. You aren't allowed to argue with this, honey. In the end, it will prove to be the greater good. I promise."

[Word Count: 944]