Izuku Midoriya {Hanahaki AU}

Requested by: MidnightPotatoSquad

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps it was foolish to believe in the 'Together Forever', which you had been promised so long ago. You were children, basking in the gentle glow of innocence, entangled within a web of unfathomable emotions. Of course, as changes echoed in the mirror, as depression delivered its viper-like bite and the agonising poison consumed you, of course his affections would dwindle. That was the natural flow of life, after all - feelings evolved, becoming more complex, more life-and-death. Despite this knowledge, some part of your soul screamed out, crying, pleading for a return to the old, for him to once again gaze upon you with those doe-esque emeralds, betraying an unyielding love. Instead, you sensed distance, dare you say hesitation. It seemed as though the avoidance was purposeful, as if his heart contorted with probable ambivalence.

Why? What reason had his mind concocted, for dismissing you so suddenly?

And now, as you had come to expect, the boy who possessed the key to your heart, the boy you failed to find meaning without, ceased all communication with you. It wasn't sudden, but your stomach still lurched at the recollection; calls went unanswered, texts were ignored - the usually tender-hearted angel wouldn't even greet you anymore! All your efforts to remain strong, vigilant, shattered in an instant. On the spot, your knees buckled and gravity kicked you to the ground.

The calm atmosphere was penetrated by a startled gasp from the green-locked boy beside you.

"Hanahaki? Oh no, that sounds terrible!"

"Izuku?" You interjected, immediately wanting access to the information which had so upset your best friend. "What's that?"

Pointing to the television, crystalline tears rolling down to stain his cheeks, he cried, "The lady on TV said it's a disease! You cough up flowers, I think? But...but she said it's really painful!"

"Flowers are so pretty, though! How could they hurt you...?" The confusion fused into your voice was being drowned out by the newscaster, as she relayed the specifics of the outbreak.

Still, it was baffling to you, as a young child, and when her words slithered into your ears, they flourished with distortion. Your lips quivered ever-so-slightly, soft whimpers falling like autumn leaves on to the ground. The thoughts that had now infiltrated your mind released immense terror and despondency into your bloodstream. It was almost unbearable, just imagining how someone could develop a love so beautiful and chaste, then be forced to suffer eternally in the event of a lack of reciprocation. It simply couldn't be perceived as fair, not to any deity...right? And...why flowers? They were supposed to be precious gems of nature! Why would they choose to cause such unnecessary harm?

And...and...what if this most perilous disease...what if it affected you, one day? Even despite your current age, the sensation of a heavy panging in your chest solidified the truth of your emotions. It was a perfectly healthy and organic love, wasn't it? Your affections surely couldn't have been misplaced, could they? Your heartstrings twitched rather violently when in his company, yes, but it only proved your love!...Right?

As your mind spiralled further into these depressive contemplations, dragging your half-shattered heart alongside, Izuku cocked his head in dismay. The television had lost its appeal, and so he watched the forlorn lines crossing your face, despising the frown which accompanied. A true hero, and a best friend, could never possibly allow this type of situation. Something had to remedy it, and quickly!

Gulping a modest amount, hoping not to appear too nervous, he exclaimed, "(Y/n)! Don't worry, I won't let anything happen to you! I'll protect you, I promise!"

"Y-You will...?" The smile now adorning Izuku's face illuminated the entirety of your world in a mere second. It was absolutely blinding, but your glassy eyes refused to falter; in a way, you were Icarus, flying too close to an enchanting yet deadly sun.

That particular grin was the beginning of his signature All Might look, in which he took much pride. You found it both adorable and hilarious.

"Yep! You won't have to hurt - not ever! Why? Because I am here!"

Aching for a neglected love, your heart bled tears of the purest blue, as it sang sorrowful melodies with each new beat. The angrily-pulsating blood flowed to your head, filling your ear canals with white noise. Its volume and tenacity was such that you failed to hear the unsure mutterings and sympathy-riddled voices, attempting to court your attention. Nothing could have possibly distracted you from those deep, abysmal thoughts, lashing your heart with all the anger and grief boiling away inside. You had no desire to feel such negativity, especially not to someone so perfect in your eyes - the only one with whom you could ever imagine whiling away eternity.

Apparently, however, the sentiments were far from mutual. The sheer amount of pressure and anguish soon became overwhelming. The universe seemed to crave only a single second more, before deciding your fate - the fate that you had dreaded since childhood's hour, the one that had stolen precious hours of sleep from you, as your body surrendered to its feasibility. Now that it was finally being fulfilled, you recalled a particular conversation with Izuku, during which he had vowed to protect you from the very thing he had bestowed upon you.

While it was bound to be unintentional, surely he must have realised how painful the wounds would be? For your best friend, the boy you loved more than existence itself, to reject you completely...

Pink Camellia petals floated just below your bosom, sinking further, further, further, until they ghosted the floor. With your vision obstructed by a cascade of tears, you couldn't quite distinguish the flowers, but there were also petals from a Yellow Carnation, a Purple Hyacinth and a Red Rose. They symbolised your most profound emotions: sorrow, grief, rejection, love. You felt the coarseness grazing your throat, inducing strangled chokes and yet more tears. This couldn't be how you died, could it...? Blood stained some of the petals, so much that a dizziness consumed your head. You wanted to scream, and at one point, you simply wished to fade from reality, so that you wouldn't have to endure any more pain.

As you struggled to provide oxygen to your lungs, through the blockade of petals, jet-black shadows gradually crept into the corners of your eyes. This...situation, the static, the furious-pumping of blood in your ears...everything! It was all too much. You didn't notice the hands gently grabbing your shoulders, or the soft, worried voice calling your name on repeat. You couldn't even comprehend that you had fainted, until you awoke in the company of Recovery Girl.

"You're awake now, dear?" The elderly woman asked, offering you a helping of pez.

Adjusting your eyes to the glaring light above, you responded, "I think so...? What happened?"

She sighed, loudly. "You blacked out, right in the hallway. One of your classmates brought you here. He said you were coughing up flower petals."

The memories flooded back, and you fought to conceal your choking. 

"..."

"I'm guessing you didn't realise that you had Hanahaki?" Recovery Girl enquired, arms crossed, a rather perplexing expression tugging at her wizened features.

"No...I didn't." You manoeuvred upwards, holding an unsteady hand to your mouth.

The woman, imbued with both wisdom and compassion, settled on one final, cryptic note. 

"Well, I don't think you have to worry about that anymore, dear."

[Word Count: 1239]