Kyoka Jirou {Hanahaki AU} {2}

Requested by: SneakySnake420 and Serena-cat

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the phone slipped from your trembling palm, only a whisper could be ripped from your lungs. "The greater good...?"

The line buzzed again - a sure indication that your mother had resolved to speak. You, in a half-irritated, half-ungodly-depressive haze, refused to allow this. You disconnected the line, clutching your phone with an iron-grip. Distress was twisting your features. Torment gripped every bone within your body. Your mother clearly hadn't realised her fatal mistake, because she assumed that you would be willing to obey her outrageous commands. How was that actually possible? A future with Kyoka (however unlikely the concept) was not something you wished to surrender, not even for the interests of your mother.

Although...some divine force would eventually compel you back to the confides of the UA dormitories; it would be impossible to remain elusive forever. Besides, such a predicament would render you unable to bear witness to Kyoka's celestial beauty, any further. If your (e/c) eyes, foggy with crystalline tears, were doomed never to gaze upon her again, then the dreaded treatment might have seemed more alluring.

Suddenly, a few gentle tremors and an almost-blinding illumination captured your attention. Glancing towards the Caller ID on your phone, a sick nervousness flooded your heart - it was the goddess herself. Despite the quivering of your hands, only one tap was required, to gain immediate access to her heavenly voice. It was to be a glorious symphony, highly sought after by your ears since the conversation with your mother, which still reverberated with a monstrous ferocity. Swallowing down a lump, formed by immense pain and apprehension, you answered the call. A rasping cough threatened to unravel your threads, but you practised every technique your mind could conceive, to halt its progress.

"(Y/n)...? (Y/n)?" The address was slightly disjointed, sliced in half by the sound of desperate panting.

Instantly growing more concerned for her, you threw aside those tedious thoughts, lulling you further into the abyss of depression. 

"Kyoka? Are you alright? Where are you? Are - Are you running?"

A brief moment of hesitance, and then she returned. "Yeah, I'm trying to find you. Your mum pulled up outside the dormitory, demanding to see you."

"...I'm not going back. Not if she's still there." You countered, with an ever-weakening tone.

"Just...Just tell me where to find you. Please, (Y/n) - we can talk this through, and figure out a solution together."

Treasonous tears cascaded down your cheeks, altering the course of the discussion, and serving to amplify the violet-locked girl's alarm. "I'm sorry, Kyoka...I'm really sorry."

"For what?" She questioned, confusion rising in her voice.

"Everything." Teasing the lining of your throat, feather-light petals danced, carried by a sudden, oppressive surge of bile, which spilled past your lips.

Balling a fist, you latched on to the cloth just above your heart. A dreadful throbbing had overcome the organ, causing you to feel as though a marathon had recently been completed. Kyoka, understanding your affliction, immediately dropped the line. She rushed to your aid, with a strange and very sudden hunch, as to your location. The scene greeting her was unmatched in vulgarity, but the aspiring hero refused to abandon a friend in such evidently dire need. Hydrangea petals crunched underfoot, yet Kyoka had ceased to gaze downwards. Instead, her intense focus settled solely on your pain-twisted features.

"Hey...it's gonna be alright." Bringing out a tissue, she skirted around your dripping nose and similarly-saturated eyes. Then, in a perfect rendition of All Might, she added, "Why? Because I am here!"

This succeeded in eliciting a (still somewhat despondent) laugh, although you eventually resorted back to choking; each time, the pile of rose quartz and amethyst petals would swell.

"...I can't do this for much longer..." These words shattered her entire world, and yet she hadn't much of a clue what they actually meant.

"What? If it's something I can help with..." Her voice trailed off, as the tissue tenderly caressed your lips, removing any traces of sick (and the occasional droplet of blood).

The opportunity was presenting itself, but your confidence had long since waned; informing Kyoka of your unbridled adorations would not prove to be the issue, however, for it was the fear of her response which mocked your mind. Gathering up what little dignity you had preserved, you forced an upward gaze. With locked eyes, there was no point attempting to escape your most grievous fate: complete rejection. Well, perhaps after your scorned confession, the treatment would possess a greater air of temptation.

Expelling a single, anxious breath, you finally spoke. "Kyoka...I-I'm in love with you."

Rather than the exasperated expression you had imagined, an all-encompassing grin, brimming with warmth and love, materialised. Reaching out a hand, she permitted slender fingers to glide gently over your trembling palm. 

"(Y/n), that's awesome! I'm in love with you too!"

[Word Count: 811]