Book 1: Chapter 13

As soon as we get outside we continue to run away from the Cargo room the Doctor pulling me by my hand and me pulling Donna by my hand.

Once we finally stop Donna asks "If people back on Earth knew what was going on here."

"Oh, don't be so stupid. Of course they know." Solana says to Donna.

"They know how you treat the Ood?" Donna asks again.

"They don't ask. Same thing." Solana says to Donna.

"Solana, the Ood aren't born like this. They can't be. A species born to serve could never evolve in the first place. What does the company do to make them obey?" the Doctor questions Solana.

"That's nothing to do with me." Solana tells us.

"Oh, what, because you don't ask?" I say to her.

"That's Doctor Ryder's territory." she tells us.

"Where's he? What part of the complex?" the Doctor says pulling out the map. "I could help with the red eye. Now show me." he demands.

"There. Beyond the red section." Solana tells us pointing to a place on the map

"Come with me." the Doctor tells her. "You've seen the warehouse. You can't agree with all this. You know this place better than me. You could help. " he tells her.

"They're over here! Guards! They're over here." she yells and we run off.

We started running then the Doctor turns us around yelling "This way!"

We finally arrive at a door. "Oh, can you hear it? I didn't need the map. I should have listened" the Doctor says and sonics the door lock, then once we get inside sonics it again.

"Hold on. Does that mean we're locked in?" Donna says somewhat panicking.

"Shhh, listen" I tell her and start to walk away.

"Listen. Listen, listen, listen, listen." the Doctor says following me.

"Oh, my head." the Doctor says in pain and I grip his hand that wasn't holding the flashlight, because somehow my head was hurting too and I somehow could hear the song.

"What is it?" Donna asks him.

"Can't you hear it? The singing?" he questions her shining the light on cages where there are groups of Ood, he then turns on the real lights and they turn away from us.

"They look different to the others." Donna points out.

"That's because they're natural born Ood, unprocessed, before they're adapted to slavery. Unspoilt. That's their song." I tell her tears threating to fall from my eyes as we go up and squat down near the cage.

"I can't hear it." Donna says.

"Do you want to?" the Doctor asks her.

"Yeah." she responds.

"It's the song of captivity." I tell her.

"Let me hear it." she requests.

"Face me." the Doctor says.

The Doctor then makes a mind meld with Donna.

"Open your mind. That's it. Hear it, Donna. Hear the music."

"At least he didn't head-butt you, eleven does that" I mutter under my breath hoping the Doctor didn't hear.

The song is sad and beautiful making Donna cry.

"Take it away." she asks the Doctor.

"Sure?" he asks her.

"I can't bear it." she says nodding and the Doctor disconnects her from the telepathic field.