First signs of winter.

*Clare's POV*

It's been two months since David forced me to leave, what was left of the warm whether is official over and done with. Winter is setting in, the cold harsh wind sends painful chills down my spine.

I've been keeping a close track on my pregnancy, I'm about three and a half months along now, it's three weeks until Christmas and by then the snow will be here. I've desperately been trying to find as much baby supplies as possible.

That first town I went to, I found a decent house with a basement I've managed to lock down, I even fortified the fence around to help prevent dead pricks getting too close. I now scavenge as much as I can from neighbouring towns, bringing back as many supplies as I can.

I need to be ready before this baby comes, I've managed to find half a dozen tins of formula and lots of clothes and blankets. I've even got a decent stash of food and water, I'm hoping I'm going to be able to still scavenge throughout the winter.

I know things are only going to get harder the further my pregnancy goes on, but I have to make this work I don't have any other choices. I thought about on many different occasions I could go back to the Sanctuary.

It's too late now though, David is probably back in his comfy room, doing all Negan's work for him. I have to do this on my own from now on, my baby is all I have and I will do anything, I mean anything for my baby.

It's strange to think that a couple of months ago I wasn't ready or even sure that I could have this baby that I would be able to do it. But now I know, nothing will change my mind not ever.

Maybe one day I'll get to be with Negan again and he will get to meet his child, but for now I have more important things to worry about.

My biggest issue at the moment is my lack of weapons, I've managed to make a few makeshift knives but nothing great. Every proper weapon for miles has been taken already, there's nothing left for me to use.

I wonder through the woods, the cold air going straight through my thin jacket. I'm in search of old cabins, ones that may have been unseen and still might have supplies.

I've been out for half the day though and everything has been stripped clean at this point. The next town over isn't an option due to a herd of dead pricks.

I keep my two makeshift knives out and at the ready. I hear a snap of twigs nearby and I stop in my tracks, I scan the foliage, for any sign of the undead or the living for that matter.

Out from behind a tree a man steps out, he's not overly tall, but quite handsome and very clean. His dark skin clear of dirt and blood and any other impurities.

Even his grey dread locks look well taken care of and in this new world that would be nearly impossible, if just out living like I am.

"Hello fair maiden, My name is King Ezekiel." His voice is deep and proud.

"Um? King? There are no Kings." I say rather confused, this man is very formal.

"Ah there wasn't, but now there is. What is your name?" He asks and I can see I won't get away with lying to him.

"Um, it's Clare. Clare Aven, your lordship." I play along with his fantasy.

"Clare, what a beautiful name. I see that you need refuge, why don't you come with me, the Kingdom will take care of you." He gestures towards my now showing baby bump and I step back.

"Sorry, but I'd rather not." I tighten my grip on my makeshift knives, I'm prepared to do all of my training to keep this baby safe at all costs.

"I do not wish to hurt, only provide a safe place to stay." He pulls a green apple out of his bag and holds it out for me, I'm tempted to take it from him, but I don't know this man.

"I'm sorry, I can't trust you, there is to much at stake." I stare up at his kind eyes, I'm so close to giving in and going with him, but I can't.

"EZEKIEL! WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU? YOU CANT JUST GIVE ME SHIVA AND DISAPPEAR!" A women shouts out somewhere in the woods behind Ezekiel. I step back further away from him, there's more out there.

"I see you won't come with us, but I can not leave you with nothing." He places the apple back in his bag and places his whole bag on to the ground.

"I don't need your stuff, you need it." He just shakes his head at me.

"I need to go now, the bag is yours, if you change your mind, you can find the kingdom two towns that way." He points to the West of here, he soon disappears back the way he had first come.

I stand there for awhile listening to any sound, that would let me know he is coming back with more people, after awhile though nothing happens. I rush over to his back pack and pull the zips down hurriedly, the bag is practically over flowing with fruit and what looks to be like cobbler.

I dig around in the bag looking for other things, in the bottom of the bag I find a Smith and Western hand gun with a silencer attached to it. I stare down at it excitedly, this is what I needed and that man just gave it to me. Guns are like gold nowadays, not many people just give them away like they are nothing.

I look to the West, maybe I would be safe there, I'll go and just check the place out from a distance, see how safe it actually is before I let myself be seen. I head in the direction of the town, I pull out the green apple and take a bite, I can't help it, but I literally moan at the taste.

I had almost forgotten the taste of fresh fruit, it's been so long since I've had any real food, it's all been replaced with out of date canned food and plants that I know are safe to eat. I've saved almost all of my food for when the baby arrives, I know I won't be able to travel far with an infant. So if the Kingdom is safe, I'll tell them where my stash is and we can bring it back.

I know the walk is long and I'm taking a risk by doing this, but if it means I won't have to have this child alone and be safe as well, then the risk is worth it.