Man Down.

Carl, such a young, brave man, filling his father's shoes and leading his group, no his family, because that's what the people are here family

Carl, such a young, brave man, filling his father's shoes and leading his group, no his family, because that's what the people are here family. Too young, he's too young.

This was the time in his life where he should have been in highschool, thinking about girls, his studies, collages and parties. But no, he's the front man of the impending battle, ready to fall with, no for his family.

I watch in awe as this child, young man stands above me, not yet giving into Negan. Never did I think I would stand on this side of the fence, with these people. I always thought I would be leashed by Negans' side, his pet, his trophy.

Never did I think, Negans words could be so menacing, that his actions tonight put so many peoples lives in danger, including my own. I have never wanted to run so far away in my life until tonight.

"Kill me!" The words ring out over Negans' and my heart shatters, this brave boy willing to give his life for those he loves. I'm glad I sent Axl down into the sewers already, away from all this, to safety, to hopefully a new future.

"What did you say?" I hear Negan call out to Carl, not expecting such words from him. I'm almost tempted to beg him myself, but I was told to stand down, to leave it to Carl, that Negan must not know I'm here.

"If you have to kill someone, if there has to be punishment then kill me. I'm serious." I barely hear the words from where I'm standing underneath him, with Michonne and others I do not know.

Dwight had to leave to pretend he was helping Negan, he is stationed on the side, leading Negans' men into our plans. I pray that he remains safe throughout all of this.

"You wanna die?" Negan asks him, not letting in any emotion.

"No. I don't. But I will, its gonna happen." He stumbles on his words.

"But if me dying can stop this. If it can make things different. For us. For you. For all those other kids it'd be worth it."

I step back from the fence silently bumping into a stranger, fighting the sob that dares rip from my throat, if my son was every forced to do this, then I'd have to be dead. I would never let my boy do this, he's too damn young. The stranger lays his hand on my shoulder, calming me down silently.

"I mean was this the plan? Was it supposed to be this way? Is this who you wanted to be?

The fence crashes down in the distance and Carl takes this as his chance to leave we all run.

"SON OF A BITCH CARL. WAS THAT JUST A PLAN? I THOUGHT WE WERE HAVING A MOMENT YOU LITTLE ASSHOLE. MOVE THE WAY!" Negan screams as we run, suddenly explosives are going off.

Houses light up on fire, burning quickly. The streets are filled with choas, we have no chance but to take cover in the sewers.

The explosives rock the earth above us, I found Axl in amongst the people and pull him to me, I stay close to Carl as he talks to people, walking through the sewers. Michonne went off to assist others in their group and we await her return.

After what felt like hours Michonne arrives with more from her group as they walk past me, I see Dwight clutching his arm tightly. I put Axl down and rush to him.

"Dwight, baby, What happened?" I say assessing him frantically.

"Laura shot me in the arm, she got away, she's going to tell Negan that I helped here." My heart thunders in my chest at his words, someone approaches us and goes about removing the bullet. But they are unable to stitch, but saying he will be okay.

I sit back with Axl and Dwight sits behind me, pulling us both into his arms.

More people walk in, everyone is silent as Rick walks past us all, heading over to his son. Carl has grown considerably pale since we got down here, but he's refused all help.

Rick crouches before her sick son, Michonne standing close by to them.

"It's over." Carl says lifting his shirt, revealing a bite mark, all my breath leaves me, my grip tightens on Dwights hand and he squeezes it right back as we watch Michonne fall to her knees, Rick and herself begin to cry.

I can't help the tears that fall from my eyes as I hug Axl to me. Rick and Michonne hold on to Carl, they have no words to say, to him.

It's then I realise that this brave young man, who tried to save this family was already a dead man. But he was willingly to give up his last moments alive for them. He wanted to know that his family will live once he is gone.

Even after the bombing stops we wait inside the dark tunnels, to scared to see if they are gone. Only in the morning do we leave, watching them take Carl out the tunnels was the hardest thing.

The once brave man who spoke to me only hours ago, is now gaunt and pale, his time running out. Many people cry  silently as we watch him be lead to the church, but no one follows, letting them have their peace.

The people of Alexandria start cleaning up and Dwight helps where he can, so do I.

I step out onto one of the porches that was semi okay, I spot Rick sitting on the stairs and Michonne sitting behind him. The swift faint sound of the silencer muffling a gun is heard from the church.

Rick and Michonne break down and so does my heart, Dwight steps out of the house and I'm immediately in his arms crying.

"He's gone Dee. Such a young life wasted." I sob into his shirt, he wraps his arms tightly around me and I know he must be in pain but refuses to let me go. He knows my thoughts go to Axl, What if my boy ever had to do that?

A small ceremony is held for him his close friends and family stand by as words are spoken for him. I stand by Dwight with Axl, wanting to help comfort those who are in mourning, but knowing there's nothing that I can do.

I offer to sing a song for Carl and Rick nods his head sadly. I step over to his grave quietly.

"We both know how there's just time. Is it wrong to dance this line? If your heart was full of love? Could you give it up? Cus what about what about angels oooo, they will come they will go make us special. Don't giveee me up. Don't giveee me up." I sing Birdy's 'Not about Angels' I try not to think about what happened to her in this new world.

I finish the song and Michonne offers me a soft smile, Rick even thanks me, I hug him tightly, wishing I could do more, wishing I did more. I step away and head back over to Dwight, I hold my family close, never ever wanting to let them go.