Part 38

I'm sitting at my usual spot during lunch, reading this book that I have left abandoned for quite a while so I had to re-read some parts to get back on track. There was a calming silence around me which put me in a comfortable mood. 

That is until I felt fingers jab into my sides followed by a familiar laugh. 

"I love doing that to you" he says while trying to catch his breath from laughing. 

I kept my face straight and unbothered. 

"Hello? Earth to Ruby?" he waves his hand in front of my face. When I didn't reply he snatched my book out of my hands. 

"Give it back!" I snapped. He raised his hands higher so I couldn't reach it. "I don't wanna do this Ethan" I said. 

"What's wrong? Why are you so moody all of a sudden?" he frowns. 

"Would you give my book back?" I say trying to dodge his question. 

"Not if you answer me" he chuckles. 

"If you don't give it back-" 

"If I don't give it back.." he mocks my voice and raised his hand higher than I could ever reach. 

I sighed and sat back down on the bench defeatedly and buried my face in my hands. I really didn't want to answer him because I'm doing this for my own good. 

After a moment of silence he bent down and looked up to my face. 

"Ruby, what's wrong? Why are you ignoring me?" his voice turned sad, which made me feel even more guilty. 

"I-" I couldn't form any words. 

"Please tell me." 

I placed my hands on my lap but my eyes never left the ground. There were tears at the corner of my eyes. I couldn't bare to look up to him and everything that I planned to say stayed stuck at my throat, as if they refused to come out. 

"I- I hate you" I breathed out as a tear rolled down my cheek. From the corner of my eyes I saw how his face fell in devastation and confusion. 

I didn't mean that. At least, not that harshly. 

"What? Why? What did I do?" 

I couldn't. I couldn't bare to hear the sadness in his voice so I ran off. To where? I don't know but some place where I could take a breather. Wherever that is.