Part 71

It was the evening and we had just finished watching a movie on Netflix whilst cuddling. I was scrolling through my timeline when I came across the video of Ruby singing. 

I jolt up making her fall from my arms. 

"Oh my god I'm so sorry!" 

"It's okay" she chuckles. "Why did you jump? You saw something?"

"You didn't tell me you posted the video of you singing!" 

"Oh yeah that, I posted it a few days before my competition, when we fought.."

"Oh, in that case I accept the excuse" I give in. "But look!" I showed her the video and it had over 500k views! 

"Woah!" she sat up in shock. 

"Look at all the comments, they are all complementing your voice!" 

"Oh my god.." she says as she read the pleasing words from strangers, possibly new fans. 

"You know, that also reminds me.."

"What?" I ask. 

"You still haven't fulfilled our promise, the one where we do a cover together?" she smirks. 

I sigh. "I don't know.." 

I'm insecure of my voice, it isn't powerful like Lewis Capaldi, nor as beautiful as Shawn Mendes. It was simply a hobby. 

"A promise is a promise. Come on, I'll choose a song" she pleads in hopes of convincing me. 

"Okay, I'll do it" I give in. 

"Yay!" she claps her hands together in excitement. 

---

I decided to practise the lines we had decided on in separate rooms. We're singing Nervous by Gavin James, which was somewhat a relief because it's a slow paced song so I don't need to pressure my voice too much. 

We also decided to do it as an acapella to add a more sentimental vibe. 

"Ethan! Are you done yet??" called Ruby. 

"Just a minute!" I replied. I took a deep breath. I'm not entirely ready for her to hear my singing voice, her and the viewers. 

My passion for singing really only has been a personal thing and to know that in a few seconds it's not scares the shit out of me. 

I entered the bedroom "You ready?" she asks. 

Half ready. But I nod and sat beside her on the bed. She turns on her laptop and goes to the app with the camera and stuff. 

"Let's add a filter hm?" 

"Whatever you like" I chuckle. She puts on the filter with the floating hearts above our heads and pressed the red button. 

Ruby positions herself comfortable, takes a deep breath and starts singing.  

"I promise I'll hold you when it's cold out. When we lose our winter coats in the spring. 

Cause lately I was thinking I never told you. 

That everytime I see you my heart sings.

We lived at the carnival in the summer. We scared ourselves to death on the ghost train.

And just like every ferris wheel stops turning. Oh I guess we had an expiration date.

So I won't say I love you, it's too late." 

There was a humming bit in the chorus and I swear it was the most beautiful thing I've heard in a long time. Her voice was like flowing water, smooth and fragile. Clear and genuine. I could feel the swarming butterflies in my stomach, just like when she sang to me for the first time. 

Soon it was my turn to sing. 

"Cause every time I saw you I got nervous. Shivering and shaking at the knees. 

And just like every song I never heard yet, no-oh. I didn't know the words in front of me.

In front of me. But I don't wanna know-oh. 

Who'll take you home?

Who'll take you home?" 

We sang this part together. "If I let you go-oh" 

The sounds of our voices filled the room in a beautiful unison as we sang the chorus. The melody of our voices fit so perfectly, you could almost feel the feeling blooming inside of us as we sang straight from the heart.