Part 54

After they wrapped up the practise with their last round of routine that day we parted ways and went home. By we I meant Ruby and Lucas. I walked her to the bus stop. 

"You know what I've been thinking?" she says.

"What?"

"You haven't been mean to me recently."

"What" I chuckled. "So you want me to be mean to you?" 

"No, that's not what I meant" she hits my arm playfully. "You were soo mean and annoying and irritating and everything I wanted to stay away from when I first met you. Now.." her words trail off. 

"Now?" I say, eager to know what she's trying to say. 

"You're one of the people I want to keep close by every time" she softly smiles. I felt my heart beating tremendously fast and my cheeks heating up. Thank god it was dark so she couldn't see that I was blushing. 

"I know that sounds cheesy, but it's true. What's insane to me is I'm closer to you than I am with my other friends. That scared me at first, and I thought I was being choosy but I soon figured otherwise."  

She abruptly stopped and stood in front of me. 

"Thank you for being the person I never knew I needed until now. I don't know what I'd do without you." Through the darkness I could make out that she was smiling widely as she pulled me into a hug. 

I was taken aback by it but didn't waste a time to hug her. With her head buried in my chest and mine in her hair, nothing felt more special than that moment. Even though we were just friends. 

"Wow your heart is beating so fast right now. You okay?" she asks as she pulls away. 

Fuck. "Oh" I chuckled nervously. "I'm okay" I say. My heart started beating even faster than it was before, probably out of nervousness. 

"You sure?" she was about to press her hand on my chest over my beating heart but I grabbed her wrist to stop her. 

"I'm okay, really" I assured her. 

She clearly didn't seemed convinced. "Let's continue our way to the bus stop hm?" I say and walk ahead of her. 

I arrived after fast walking and tapped my feet impatiently. Come on bus, get here fast so that I can fucking run away from here and never show myself around Ruby again.

Not really, probably couldn't handle that. 

Like a miracle, the bus arrived shortly after. "Oh look the bus is here! Get home safe, I'll see you tomorrow!" I say and got away as fast and.. calm? As I could. 

No, definitely not calm.