Part 43

I entered the studio and I see Lucas sitting at a corner with his phone. His eyes looked up from the screen and smiled when he saw me.

"Ruby!" he beamed and got up to hug me. 

"Hey, haven't seen you in so long" I smiled. 

"Yeah, I'm so happy to see you! Did your manager called you about today's practise?"

"Mhm, I'm guessing it's the same for you" I chuckled. We both are small celebrities in dancing. Then our coach, Coach Emily came out of her office which was the small room at the end of the studio. 

"I'm glad you both are here now, we can finally get a head start on your routine" she exclaims. "So if you can't already guess, you both will perform a duet for the competition at the end of this month."

Upon hearing the good news Lucas playfully nudges my arm. "The title for your performance is called 'Rustlings, Whispers, then You'. For the intro you Ruby, will be doing a solo for about 30 to 40 seconds, then you Lucas will do a solo for 20 to 30 seconds and your duet will start afterwards."

"Got it" Lucas and I say in unison. 

"Great! Let's get started on the duet."

---

I spent the whole of Sunday practising our duet. It was dark by the time I got back home and mom had already left. To say I didn't feel terribly guilty for having to ditch mom for my dance practise was a big fat lie. But what can I do anyway. 

Monday came around and I attended my classes as normal. Homework started piling up as the periods went by which is absolutely fortunate for me this month (sarcasm intended). 

I sat at the usual bench during lunch break eating my granola bar that I half ate this morning. I heard footsteps coming towards me so I turned around. 

"Hey Ethan-" mu words came to a halt when I say who it actually was. 

"Sorry but I'm Hazel" she chuckles. 

"I'm Ethan" I hear that familiar voice and he comes towards me and sits beside Hazel. 

"Wow you two are close now huh" she lifts an eyebrow smirking. 

"Yeah, we've been hanging out a lot" I say. 

"No wonder I haven't been seeing you a lot recently, you've been hanging out with my cousin!" 

"Same with you. I haven't seen you a lot lately."

"School programmes" she rolls her eyes. "The most time consuming thing ever. I had to plan out and do meetings on the upcoming school dance and Green Week-"

"School dance?? Isn't that like in three months??" questions Ethan. 

"Yeah, do you expect us to plan it the week before? We have to find sponsors, plan activities, write a schedule.. it's a lot."

"I can already feel your pain and I'm only the student transfer" I chuckle. The two of them laugh in response. 

"Well I can't do anything but pray that things aren't too stressful for you, and that everything goes smoothly." 

"Thanks. It means a lot" she smiles. 

"Anytime!"