Ch 6.2

Rao in the original story had a falling out with his brother over the protagonist invading their forest. The king wanted to be rid of a human and possible danger to his forest while Mao wanted to save the child who suffered such torture. Rao was forced to banish his brother into the outskirts of the forest and only allowed him back after the protagonist turned 15 and wandered to the king begging for Mao to be allowed back. Mao was a leopard, even if they were supposed to be solitary creatures, he lived with his brother ever since he was born and grew an attachment in the 3000 years together.

Sitting atop his personal tree branch, Rao watched as his brother sneaked away from the festival into the deep recesses of the forest where he'd meet and kill the protagonists torturers. This was also the point where the rift was created between the two brothers and Mirror Forest was doomed without it's two protectors.

Whipping his head to the floating Nar, he issued a low growl to signal him over.

"What's wrong King? You seem kinda gloomy"

Drawing circles in his fur, Nar teasingly plaited his long fur and inserted flowers in between. The flowers glowed a moonlight blue emitting a soft mist that calmed the mind, it was known as the Mirror's tear that only appeared in the undersurface world yet Nar planted 10 of them in Rao's fur.

Humphing twice, Rao grabbed Nar by his tail and dragged him away to follow his brother. Although unwilling to leave the festival, Nar had a hunch something was going down and he needed to be there to watch!

A metallic teng permeated the air scaring the plants into turning away from the bloody scene. Limbs were scattered across the clearing and only two figures were intact in the centre of the battlefield, both staring into each others eyes, both gauging the reaction of the other creature.

"Brother"

Jolting away, Mao took a few steps back and bowed to his brother.

"King"

Staring coldly at Mao, Rao switched his line of sight to the protagonist and scrutinised his clothes. He was wearing nothing but ragged beggar clothing and all of his bottom region was torn. Blood seeped from his private region spilling onto the forest floor practically screaming "I've been raped".

"Why isn't he dead"

Rao was no longer the brother of Mao, Rao was the king of the forest and it was his duty to eradicate any threat from his forest including any and all humans.

Hesitating, Mao raised his head and bared his teeth at his brother.

"This... child doesn't deserve it, he's... been through enough"

Tilting his head, Rao looked questionably at his brother before replying;

"If humans saw me dying on the road, would they kill me or save me?"

Mao's was tongue tied, humans obviously would kill Rao at sight first for his beautiful coat and second for his cultivation level. Even if they didn't kill him, they'd try to capture him for their own use and once they find out he won't obey, use him as fodder.

"But... this child is innocent"

"This child is a human, all humans cannot enter and leave Mirror Forest alive"

Unsheathing his claws, Rao lunged at the protagonist but was stopped by Mao. Growling at his brother, he tried to move around him but Mao maneuvered in front of him every time.

"Are you going against me?"

A dark aura surrounded Rao as he stared coldly at his brother, kinship was important but the Heart was his life. Without the Heart, the life of all creatures in Mirror Forest would end, none of them would survive.