Ch 6.6

Time wasn't like water, Rao waited day by day beside the necklace for L to return. For each day he didn't return, Rao would sleep another day alone in his den.

Once he tried to start collecting rocks but as the days got higher, his storage could no longer hold his sadness and Rao was forced to return the rocks to their rightful places.

He also tried carving into the tree but even the bark didn't have enough space for him to carve the many days he waited.

Years turned to decades, decades to centuries. Mao and Wen WuLing progressed their cultivation already ascending into immortals. The hundred years Rao spent with only Nar and Fang was more depressing then he'd imagine, it wasn't until they returned after accumulating enough power that his life of waiting got more joyous,

He didn't know how long he could live for but Rao would still wait, he would wait for as long as he lived for his lover to return.

Listening to Nar bicker with Mao was the only pastime he ever did other then polish the necklace. Rolling onto his back, Rao yawned feeling it was time for another days long nap.

A strange turbulence in the air spiralled around the clearing centered towards the place Rao was resting. Defensively growling at the air, Rao felt his hackles rise at the killing intent radiating from near him.

"Brother! The necklace!"

Looking down at the necklace, he watched as it sucked and absorbed the air into the gem until it turned black, pain and anger radiated from the metal itself releasing the pent up feelings of the millions of people who were trapped within it.

"Brother move away!"

Before he could react, the blackened amethyst exploded into shards cutting deeply into Rao's body.

"RAWR!!"

Slumping down in pain, Rao was overjoyed at the person lying down on the grass,

It was L!

He finally returned!

Barely registering the pain, Rao shifted into a human and lifted L onto his lap.

The familiar face although seemed more cold than before was the same as it was over thousands of years ago. L was an immortal so Rao wasn't surprised of his youthful face.

"L, please wake up!"

Tears erupted in his eyes, he was happy! He waited for so long even the heavens saw his patience and gifted his lover back to him.

They could finally be together again! They-

The moment L opened his eyes, he stared coldly at Rao, raising his hand, he flipped Rao onto the grass choking him with all his strength.

"Tsk, that weakling"

Rao was caught unprepared and held so tightly he could hardly think.

Why... Why was L so different? He tried to think of reasons but the choke hold was distracting him from his thoughts.

"At least he handed me fresh prey to kill"

Scratching at the hand over his neck, Rao uttered silent syllables as tears fell from his eyes.

It hurt so badly.

The pain of your own lover trying to kill you.

He wanted it to stop.

Bloody scratches were carved into L's hands, the bloody scratches that never should have appeared on his body both before and after he ever was in power. Sensing another immortal creature coming closer, L released his hold and retreated over the lake, Mao held his brother up as he coughed for more air. The burn in his throat wasn't as painful as the ache in his heart.