scene 53- screaming

Twilight didn't think much of the fact that Wild got up and walked away. He didn't think much of the fact that he stopped. But he did think a lot of the fact that he started yelling. Not saying anything. Just standing there and screaming.

He stood up and ran over. Wild's eyes were open, but they were unfocused. He was trembling. His mouth was moving, but the only sound coming out of it was a steady, monotone but loud yell. He was almost deafening.

He put his hands on his shoulders and shook him.
"Wild! Wild! What's going on? Are you okay?"
Obviously not. Why was he even asking that?

By now, just about everybody had been woken up and had walked over to see what the commotion was about.

It was as if everything was silent, despite the loud screaming.
Nothing was happening.

Wild closed his eyes. Tears were coming out of his eyes. Twilight realized that he was crying as well.

Wild's yelling morphed into words. Well, the same two words repeated over and over again.
"I'm fine! I'm fine! I'm fine! I'm fine! I'm fine! I'm fine! I'm fine! I'm fine!"

That went on for quite a while before Wild suddenly collapsed. He fell right into Twilight, who caught him.

He brought him to his sleeping bag and set him down there. He sat next to him, looking down at Wild's figure.

He didn't notice that Time had sat down next to him until he spoke.
"What do you think that was about?"
Twilight looked up at Time, surprised.
"Huh? Oh, it's you. I don't know. I have no idea. I wish I did."
"Do you really think he's better now?"
Twilight didn't answer for a moment, thinking. He shook his head.
"No. No, I don't."
"Me neither. And even if he was, the trauma of whatever it was that he went through is obviously still there. That hasn't left."

●●●

He didn't open his eyes. He didn't want to.

He was just glad that the noises were gone.

He tried to open his eyes.

Act like you're fine, he told himself.

Act like nothing's wrong, he told himself.

Try to convince yourself that the lies are true.

If you pretend enough, it might come true.

He forced his eyes to open.
He saw Twilight sitting next to him.
He sat up.
"Hey."
"You're awake."
"Yeah."

Why was he angry? Was he angry at himself? Probably.

"Don't ask me any questions. Actually, scratch that. Talk and don't stop talking."
Twilight looked at him for a moment. He glared at him.
"Okay, okay."

Twilight started talking, and he listened to him. His voice was calming. Not quite like Zelda's, but close enough.
Twilight just a calm guy in general. And helpful.

One of things Twilight said stuck out to him.
"You're not really okay, are you?"
He looked at Twilight, who stopped talking.
"I'm fine."
He stood up.
"I have to go."

Grabbed his things and his sword, which he shoved into the ground.

●●●

"Hey, Zelda."
"Link! You were gone for over an hour. I was looking for you!"
"Sorry."
He sighed.
"Is something wrong?"
"No! I. Am. Fine. Why do people keep asking me? I'm perfectly fine! They're stupid! You're stupid!"
He pointed at Zelda, smiling a little too much. He dropped his hand and looked down, not smiling anymore.

He was going crazy. He had to face it. He wasn't fine. Not at all. He was wasting his energy. Other people's energy. Other people's time.

He stepped forward and looked at Zelda. Then, he hugged her.
"I'm sorry. Today's been a shitty day."
"It's alright. I understand."

The beeping started again. He pushed it away. Go bother someone else, he thought. It didn't.
His cheek was wet. He was crying.
The beeping sped up. He couldn't bear it any longer.
"Get the f**k away from me!"
Maybe if he said it out loud, it would work.
"Leave me alone!"
Maybe if he yelled it, it would work.
"Please!"
Maybe if he was polite, it would work.
"Now! Go away!"
Maybe if he was stern or would work.

But it didn't. It just got louder and faster. Louder and faster. Louder and faster. Louder and faster.

It just wouldn't stop. He'd have to put up with this. But he couldn't. It was breaking him. He just wanted it to stop. It was inescapable.

"Can't you see? I can't."

He let go of Zelda and slipped out of her arms. He fell to his knees, looking down.
"I can't do this anymore."
He looked up at Zelda and smiled weakly.
"Today really has been shitty."

She held out her hand, and he took it. But instead of standing up, he pulled her down with him. And he hugged her again. Harder this time. Like he was holding on for dear life.

He didn't let go. Not for a while. He didn't want to let go. He couldn't let go. Not with this beeping. Not when he was feeling like this.

Eventually, Zelda stood up. He held onto her hands, but he didn't stand up. His sleeves slipped down, revealing his arms. The bandage unravelled. It had been unwrapped too many times. It just wouldn't stay anymore.

Zelda gasped. He didn't care. He didn't care if she saw. He didn't care what she thought. Why should he care? There wasn't much reason to care anymore. There were better things to worry about. Better than what other people thought.

He shouldn't worry about himself, either. He was fine.
Fine.
Fine.
Fine.
Fine.

Fine.