scene 79- need you

Wild sat under a tree, looking up into the branches. They were blocking the sky. He could probably turn it into a metaphor or something, but he didn't really feel like it. He didn't really feel like doing much of anything.

Maybe he should go back to his Hyrule. Check on with Zelda. How long had he been here, again? He lost track. He wasn't really keeping track to begin with. It never occurred to him that he should do that. How stupid of him.
Maybe it was because he was never here for long.
Had it been two days? Three, even?

Maybe he could check the Sheikah slate. Actually, that wouldn't work. It only got stuck on the date, not the time. The time worked fine.

Now that he thought about it, it was weird that the clock worked fine while he was here. By all accounts, it should get stuck just like the date. Maybe even show the time that it was back in his Hyrule. Yeah, that would make sense.
Come to think of it, it probably didn't even get stuck on the date. It probably showed what it was in his Hyrule. He just hadn't ever been here that long.

"Hey, Wild. How are you doing?"
He looked in front of him and saw Twilight standing there.
"I'm okay, I guess."
"You guess?"
"Yeah." Wild paused. "Look, we both know how this conversation is going to end. It's always the same. You ask how I am, I say I'm fine, you ask if I'm sure, I tell you if something's bothering me. And nothing's bothering me."

Twilight nodded.
"Agreed. Would you mind if I sat next to you? We don't have to talk if you don't want to."
"Yeah, sure."
Wild moved over a little and patted the ground. Twilight sat down where he had patted, and looked over at him. He had looked back up into the branches of the tree.

Wild sighed. He had told the truth. He wasn't upset or anything. There was nothing bothering him. But why did he still feel like there was something he should have told Twilight?

Because there wasn't anything he was hiding. And why would not know if he was hiding something? How would he hide something from himself? That'd be stupid.

It was rare that he was telling the truth about something like that. But... it didn't feel any different. Maybe that's as just how it worked. Maybe he just felt guilty for everything. Maybe he felt guilty because Twilight probably thought he was mad at him or something. Yeah, that was it. He was just always guilty for every little thing.

That's just who he was. A stupid person that felt guilty for stupid things and had stupid thoughts and stupid emotions and did stupid things.

And he was stupid bad at everything he did.

●●●

He felt...
     odd.
He felt...
     different.
He felt...
     empty.
He felt...
     sad.
He felt...
              like he was almost gone.
         falling into pieces.
    and the last piece.
would fall soon.

third
time's
a charm

What?
Third time for what?
What did that mean?

it means you'll

It means he'll what?

don't cry
for me
for you

Don't cry?

try to see them
meet them
talk to them
again

do what you didn't before
what you couldn't before
didn't have the chance
start over again

do it
again

Do what?
What was going on?
What was this?

you

You?
Him?

you

it's you

you know you want to

Want to what?

so many questions
so few answers

wouldn't it be better for everyone
if you just

Just what?

you know what
what you mean
you want to see them again

See who?

them

nobody wants you here
they want you there
with them

"Who are you? You're scaring me."

this is you
you're thinking this
you know you want to do it
you want to

you'd like to

they want you to

"Who wants me to do what?"

they do
you do

the ones you think are friends

nobody is on your side

they aren't your friends

nobody likes you

so you might as well do it

do it

do it

do it

●●●

"I don't wanna do it, I don't wanna do it, I'm not gonna do it, you can't make me, you can't f**king make me, stop it, please stop, tell me what you mean, I'm not gonna do it, I don't wanna do it, please stop! Stop it, please! I'm not gonna f**king do it!"

Twilight could only watch as Wild shook his head and hugged his legs, his head buried between his legs and body. He could only watch as he cried out in defiance at... whatever he was talking to. Whatever was telling him to do something. Whatever it was telling him to do, it couldn't be good. Why else would he be protesting like this? Crying like this?

It caught the attention of Legend, who started walking over. Wind followed him, his head tilted in curiosity.

What didn't he want to do?

Wild lifted his head and wailed,
"I don't wanna die! Stop it!"

Twilight reached out to touch him, but a hand grabbed his wrist before he could. He looked up at the person and saw that it was Time.
"What are you doing?"
"That won't help. Why is your solution to everything touching him? That never works."
"I-"
"I tell you every time, but you still do it. Every time. It doesn't work. That won't help. Why do you think it would?"
"Sorry-"
"Sorry? Sorry? What the f**k do you mean by that? Sorry doesn't help in situations like this. can't you see that he needs something other than what you're giving him?"
"He said-"
"He's trying to make you think he doesn't need help! Are you stupid!? Why would you believe that!? You read his f**king journal! You saw what he said! You saw what he thought! Did you forget that? Did you ignore what he needed? It seems to me like you haven't been there for him!"
"But he-"
"But he what? He didn't want you there? He asked you to leave? Being there for someone doesn't mean constantly being around them. It means supporting them, giving them compliments, telling then that you care! Not pretending that nothing's wrong! Not ignore the fact that something's wrong!"
"But you-"
"He needs you, not me. Can't you see that? Are you really that ignorant?"

Time paused for an uncomfortably long time.

"Maybe you aren't the one he needs. Maybe you can't help him. It sure doesn't seem like you want to."

He let go of Twilight's hand and walked away, defeated.