scene 83- ##l#

Zelda blinked her eyes open. She wondered how much progress had been made on the restoration of Castle Town.

As she stretched, her eyes widened.
Oh. How could she forget?
She was in this place. What a weird place this was. These people seemed to know Link.

She sat up and saw one of them sitting at the table, facing away from her and everyone else. She looked in the direction of Link, and she saw another person- the oldest one- sitting beside him.

She stood up and walked over to the table. She noticed the Sheikah slate sitting in front of the caped man. It was on. She reached over and picked it up, reading the words on the screen.

When she finished, she looked back at the person. He seemed truly upset. He must be Twilight, she decided.

She sat down next to him and set the slate back down in front of him.
"I'm sorry."
He looked up at her, and she saw that there were tear streaks down his face.
"It's not your fault. It really isn't."
"I know. I guess I just feel responsible for this because I never really paid much attention to him. Except for the times when he got hurt."
He nodded and looked back down.
"Me too. He poured his heart out to me, and I did nothing. F**king nothing. I just sat there and patted his back and told him that it was okay. There was so much more that i could have done."

"Well, we have that in common." She paused. "So... do you know him well? Or... did you?"
He nodded.
"I guess you could say that."
"What do you mean by that?"
"He never really told us much about himself until recently."
"Ah. I don't know him too well, myself."
"I thought you knew him before?"
"He's changed. And he won't tell me what's going on."
"Oh. Yeah. He told me about that."
"Really? What did he say?"
"He basically said that you care to much about him and that you'd stop everything just to see if he was alright. He didn't want that."
"Oh."
"He said that Hyrule was much more important than him."

"I... can see where he's coming from. I guess I do pay a bit much attention to him at times. He's not a huge fan of attention. He'd rather be left alone."
"Yeah."
"Before... all of this happened. With the Calamity and all. He told me why he didn't talk. He said that his position meant he had to be serious. Sometimes I wish that he hadn't felt that way. We could have gotten to know each other better. But part of me is glad that he didn't open up to me much, because if he had, I would have gotten much closer to him, and his change in personality would have hurt me too much. But... even though that's true, I can't help but feel that there were so many missed opportunities. We could have- no, should have talked more, spent more time together. But instead, he only followed me around silently. He never said a word. When he did talk, it was through sign. I didn't know what his voice sounded like until... after the second time."

"Me neither. Well, I had heard him speak, but only a little."
There was long silence. He looked at her again.
"Do you think he'll start signing again this time?"
"I... don't know." She paused before asking, "What happened last time? What did you all do?"
"Well, Wind over there-" he pointed to the young boy, "-he stopped...well, he stopped doing everything. He didn't do anything until he came back here. And when he did, it took a while. It was awfully quiet, too. Nobody wanted to talk or do anything. All we did was move almost immediately, them we all sort of just sat around. A few of us went back home, but some of us stayed here. Wind wouldn't go back. He refused to. He does spend a lot of time with pirates, though, so that might have been part of the reason he didn't leave. I don't think he wanted them to see him like that."
"That makes sense. Are they close?"
"Yes. Very. They're like brothers."
"It's good for him to have someone like that."
"Agreed."

They sat in silence for a moment before Zelda spoke, looking down.
"I'm sorry for almost killing you yesterday. I wasn't thinking."
"It's okay. I understand."
She looked up at him and smiled. He looked at her as well. Something about him seemed... familiar.

"Wasn't it you that brought him to me last time?"
He nodded.
"What's your name?"
"You can call me Twilight."
"So you're the person he was talking about in his journal."
"You read it?"
"Yes. At one point he said that you thought you were Yiga. But... I'm guessing he comes here often?"
"Yup."
"That means that he either didn't truly believe that, or he had a death wish..."
She trailed off at the end and buried her face in her hands.

"I should have realized..."
"That entry was from before the first time."
"True, but that doesn't make it any less likely. It only makes it more possible."
"Yeah..."

There was another silence. This time, Twilight broke it.
"A while ago, I had a dream. About Wild- I mean, Link. We call him Wild. Anyways, in this dream..."