scene 98- one

He wished he could go to Wild's Hyrule.
Check on him.
See how he's doing.

There wasn't much to do, anyway.
Not here.
Not there.
Nowhere, really.

He was just... there.
So much time had gone by.
So little-

"Time?"

He looked up.
"Yes?"
"Just... I was just checking on you. You've been out here a while."
"I am aware."

He hadn't noticed.

"It's getting late."
"True."

Twilight sat down next to him.
"Why do you keep coming out here? What do you do?"
"Sit and think."
"Oh. Is that it?"
"Yes."
"You've... been awfully quiet lately."

He looked at Twilight, not replying.

"Is something wrong?"

He didn't answer, instead looking at the bag next to him.

"Is it something about those masks?"

He reached over and picked up the bag. He stood up and looked at the bag for a moment.

Then, he threw it.
He threw it as far as he could.

That surprised Twilight a little.

"What was that for?"

He still didn't answer.

He just stared at the bag, which was now lying on the ground a good distance from where they were. Masks were spilling out of it.

He stared at them, and they stared back.
Those eyes, just looking at him.
Nothing left in them.
Just emptiness.
And death.

He turned and walked away.

Away from camp.
Away from the bag.
Away from the masks.
Away from his past.

But he'd come back to get them.

That was inevitable.

He couldn't just let it go, no matter how much he wanted to.

Those eyes wouldn't let him.

Those lives wouldn't let him.

●●●

He stood at the entrance to Castle Town, looking at the gates.
After a moment, he pushed them open and walked in. He wandered around, eventually getting to the fountain.

There, he found Zelda, sitting on the ground with her legs pulled up close, leaning against the stone. She was looking down. There was a notebook beside her, with a pen on top of it.

"Hello, Zelda. How are you doing?"

She looked up, surprised.

"Oh. It's just you. I'm doing alright."

She stood up and picked up the notebook, clutching it as if it were a lifeline.
She smiled at him and asked,
"How are you?"
"I'm pretty good, actually."
"Well, that's good to hear."

He looked at Zelda for a moment, taking notice of how tired she looked. There were bags and dark circles under her eyes, her hair was messy, her clothes were rumpled, and she was slouching just the slightest bit.
She was never this unkempt. Something had to be wrong.

"You should take a break for a while. You look exhausted."
"I... sure. I'll do that."

Odd. He thought she'd insist that she didn't need to rest. She was acting quite odd. Maybe she was just that tired. Sleep deprivation did that to you.

He looked up at the sky and noticed that it was getting late. He should probably turn in soon as well.

●~●~●

3~
Castle Town is almost finished.
I'm looking forward to sleeping in a bed again.

~●~●~

Entry 12-
Zelda seems really tired. Super tired. She looks like a zombie.
I've never seen her so messy. To someone else, she might not look that messy, but I see her all the time. I know how she usually looks. And right now, she doesn't look good.

I told her that she should take a break, and surprisingly, she didn't argue. She just said sure and left.

I don't think I've ever heard her say "sure." It's so casual, and she isn't like that. I do wish she was more relaxed around me, but she doesn't have to. It's not like she has to. Anyway, I'm awfully formal around her myself.

●~●~●

He stood up and looked at Zelda's sleeping form.
He couldn't sleep himself, so he wrote in the Sheikah slate. Now, he was going to go see the others.

He picked his sword up and pushed it into the ground.

He appeared in the center of camp. It was dark, and most everyone was asleep.
Time was the only person that was awake, and he was sitting at the table, seemingly doing nothing.

Wild walked over, realizing that Time was, in fact, doing something. He was writing in a notebook. There was a light sitting on the table, illuminating the notebook.

It looked quite old. The pages were wrinkled and slightly yellowed. It was open to a spot around the middle, meaning that Time had probably written in it many times before.

Not wanting to startle Time, who didn't seem to notice him, Wild walked away. He went over to his sleeping bag and set his stuff down before going back to the table. He stood next to it for a moment, contemplating whether or not he should sit down.

"You can sit down if you want. I don't mind."

Wild jumped at the sound of Time's voice. He didn't realize that Time knew he was there.

"Uh, thanks."

He took a seat across from Time.
They sat in silence for a while, Time writing in the notebook, and Wild awkwardly watching him.

He had never come here while it was night. It was quite unfamiliar. He would have gone to sleep, but the reason he came here in the first place was because he couldn't.

Oh well.
He could wait a bit longer.
It wasn't like there was anything he needed to get done.
Anyway, if he did have something he needed to do, he wouldn't be here.
Probably.