1

One...

One jump.

Just one jump serve.

I look at the ball in my hand and feel my heart start beating faster and faster as I look at the ball. My throat starts closing up as I throw it in the air but as soon as I step my right foot forward I freeze. I look at the ball falling angrily and hit it as hard as possible. "FUCK!!" I turn around and punch the concrete wall behind me. A shock goes up my spine at the pain and I back off and hold my hand in my other hand as I turn around Just when- "WOAH THAT WAS AMAZING IT WAS LIKE SCABOOSH AND THEN IT HIT THE FLOOR LIKE WABAM AND- DO YOU PLAY IN A TEAM?!" I stand there frozen as this orange haired guy yells in my face whilst jumping up and down and just stay quiet once he's stopped talking. "Hey why did you punch the wall though? It was a really good serve."

"I didn't jump..." He looks at me confused and tilts his head. "You don't need to jump though."

"Stay still." I freeze when a girl grabs my right hand and starts looking at it. "Hey how tall are you?! And do you play proffessionally?! I swear I've seen you somewhere-"

"Y-you haven't bye." I walk off quickly and the blonde haired girl shouts after me as I run out. "Hey wait your hand!" I bump into someone and squeeze my eyes shut as I have a slight flashback of the last game- "UH I'M SORRY ARE YOU OKAY?!" I get up and keep my head down as I hold my hand into my chest and walk off as quickly as possible. "TANAKA CATCH HIM!!"

Huh?

I look behind me and see a bald guy running after me suddenly so I step my foot down and feel pain go up my leg and tumble over on the concrete. "Woah woah are you good?"

"Yeah that looked pretty painful."

"Here let me look at your hand-"

"I'm fine..." I get up and limp a little on my ankle. "Did you hurt your ankle?"

"Please sir let us help you."

"Let us help you Oreki."

I snap as I look at the crowd of people and shout the same thing I did back then. "I CAN HELP MYSELF!!!"

Hinata knows who I am as soon as he sees my face more clearly

Hinata knows who I am as soon as he sees my face more clearly. "You're Oreki Hyouka." I walk off and keep my head down as I go to the nurses office and get the nurse to sort out my hand. "It's broken Oreki what happened?"

"Nothing... I need to go." I leave and rub my forehead as I start to feel like I forgot something. Then I remember.

I left my backpack in the gym.

I look behind me and panic when I see one of the guys I saw at the gym. He looks sensible though... I think. "Hey is this your backpack?" I look at the backpack he's holding up and nod a little as I grab it with my left hand instead. "Thanks..."

"I'm sorry about the others they can be a little full on sometimes."

"It's fine."

"...Do you still play?" I look at him in the eyes finally and see the sparkle in his eyes. "No..."

"Why not?"

"I... I just don't anymore."

"Ugh sorry I'm not usually this intrusive." I nod a little before turning around and walking away quietly with a very slight limp. I walk upstairs normally as I start forgetting about my ankle until I'm at the ceiling and sit down on a bench. I grab an apple from my backpack and take a bite as I look down at my bandaged hand. "Hey Oreki!" I look up at the loud shout and see carrot top again. "..."

"Teach me to serve!"

"What?"

"Please?!"

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I can't serve anymore."

"But I saw you earlier it was amazing!"

"No it wasn't."

"Yes it was!!"

"Look." I stand up and he gulps. "I don't play anymore carrot top. Simple as."

"But you still like volleyball don't you?"

"No-"

"Then why were you doing a serve earlier?"

"...Cuz I... I-I JUST WAS OKAY? JESUS MR NOSY PANTS." I storm off stomping my feet and he smiles as he watches me storm off. "I'LL GET YOU TO TEACH ME ONE DAY!!" I huff as I leave the school already at one in the afternoon meanwhile Hinata is thinking about what he can do to get me to teach him how to serve.