31

I wake up with a gasp and run out of my bedroom. I look around the lounge and the kitchen frantically before running into dads bedroom and finally seeing him. He's reading a file... He looks over to me and I start breathing slower as I walk over. "What's wrong?" I get under the bed and lay next to him before resting my head on his chest so I can hear his heartbeat. "Nightmare?" I nod. "Do you want the tv on?" I nod again and he turns his little box TV on. Homes funniest videos starts playing and I start falling asleep again now that I know he's okay. "I saw the video Ki..."

"I'm not gay. I was drunk and slightly high."

"You were on drugs?!"

"Pain meds and fake moonshine."

"Fuck sake Oreki." He talks in a warning voice and I hug him tighter. "I just wanted one more night..."

"To do what?!"

"Just one more drink... That was it I swear... Not again."

"Ki the time before that was supposed to be your last drink."

"...But that was it this time I promise."

"Are you sure?" I nod. "Okay... Good. And I don't care if you're gay, I mean I'm bi. I wouldn't care even if you were an alien."

Well maybe I want you to care...

"Just be yourself okay? And don't give those idiots at school another second of your time. They say anything then you have my permission to beat them up. Your dad's a detective after all." I chuckle a little and he does too. "Okay. Go to sleep."

"I-in here." I look up at him with puppy eyes and he sighs in defeat. "Okay you can sleep in here tonight." I smile and stop hugging him so I hug the pillow next to him instead and go to sleep straight away.