4 - Birthday

It's December 22nd which means it's Joshy's birthday! I've been so stressed because I didn't know what to do or to give him for his birthday. But then I got an idea and I'm so excited because I've spent so much time arranging this one gift I'm gonna give him.

It's supposed to be a little secret but I'm gonna tell you anyway. I bought us tickets to Disneyland! We're going tomorrow, though. Today we're just celebrating his birthday with his family.

We haven't seen each other today but I already said happy birthday to him via text and IG stories.

He's celebrating his birthday with his friends I'm guessing pretty much the entire day

He's celebrating his birthday with his friends I'm guessing pretty much the entire day. And for me, I'm celebrating his birthday tonight with his family. We're going to celebrate his birthday with a family dinner. And I was invited. The dinner is at 7 at this restaurant that his family organized for him.

I didn't do anything for today. It's mostly just YouTube and Netflix. Josh actually invited me to celebrate his birthday with his friends but I'm not really close with most of his friends. It would be awkward if I joined him.

I'm now getting ready for his birthday. I'm just wearing a casual black dress with a denim jacket on top of it and a pair of black Docs.

As usual, I use my flat iron to wave my hair and put on some make up. Not too much, though.

It's about 6.45 so I better get going. I'm gonna there myself. Josh offered to pick me up but I don't want to ruin his family time. And it's his birthday after all.

The restaurant is not that far away. I plug my phone to the aux cable before going. I just sing to whatever song comes on. When I get there, I find a parking space and park my car. I unplug my phone from the aux cable and check the time. 6.57 pm.

I get out of the car and start walking inside. I was looking around to see where they're sitting until someone caught my eyes. It's Josh. I start to walk towards him. He gets up from his seat and walk towards me.

"Hi oh my god happy birthday!" I say to him while hugging each other.

"Thank you! You know I should've picked you up."

"No, c'mon it's your birthday!"

"It just doesn't feel right letting you drive alone at night."

"No, it's fine. I'm serious."

"Alright, well, c'mon! Everybody's waiting."

We walk towards the table and when they see me, they start to get excited.

"Rachel!!" Josh's sisters cheer when they see me.

"Hi!" I smile while waving my hand.

"Rachel! I'm very glad you could make it!" His dad says to me. "Come, sit down!"

They left me a seat next to Josh and Claire.

"Claire! Oh my god hi!" Claire and I hug.

We spend the night eating dinner and singing happy birthday to Josh.

Then it's time for gifts. All his sisters give him their gifts, and then it's my turn. I take out this small shallow gift box from my purse. Inside I made a little picture of Mickey's head and colored it in black. On the other side of it is just a simple 'WE'RE GOING TO DISNEYLAND TOMORROW!' writing.

I give him the box. The confusion on his face is all I wanted to see.

His sisters are like "open it!" And he's like "okay". He opens the box and his face gets even more confused.

"It's a message. There's a message on the other side of the paper," I tell him.

He takes the piece of paper and flips it. He reads it out loud, "We're going to Disneyland tomorrow..." and his face turns into disbelief.

"Oh my god are you serious?" He asks me.

"Yes! I already got us tickets!"

"Oh my god thank you!! You really didn't have to!"

"You're welcome! And it's also kinda like a celebration for your new Disney show, so..."

After we all give him his presents, we're all just busy with ourselves talking to each other. I was talking to Claire about random stuff when I felt a pat on my shoulder. I turn my head.

"Uh... Can I... Talk to you about something?" Josh asks a little unsurely.

"Yeah sure. What is it?"

He then points somewhere with his thumb, signaling to go somewhere.

We stand up and start walking away from the table. We stop only a couple feet from the table, near the big window.

"What is it?"

"Um..." He gulps. He opens his mouth to say something but nothing comes out. He clears his throat.

What is he trying to say? And why does he hesitate?

"Is everything okay?" I start to worry.

"Um... I..."

"Son! C'mon we're taking pictures!" His dad calls.

"Dad! They're having a moment!" Claire says quietly, but I can still hear it.

"Uh you know what, forget it. It's not even important." He stops. "Coming dad!" He shouts back to his dad and goes back to the table.

What was he trying to say? This is driving me crazy.

We take some photos and and talk some more. I can't focus on anything. I keep thinking about earlier. Seriously what is he trying to say?

I go home at around 9.30. I change into something more comfortable and take off my make up. I try to sleep but my mind is keeping me awake. I hope he'll tell me what he wanted to say.