14 - It's Official

We continue walking home. At this point, we're almost there.

"So what did you guys do in Lunchroom? Did you have a birthday cake or something like that?"

"I had a pizookie with a candle and we just ate," I explain.

"There was no birthday cake?"

"Nope. Just a pizookie."

After about a few more steps, we arrive at his house. We enter the house and the smell of something baking immediately invades my nostrils.

I was facing Josh when suddenly I hear voices singing happy birthday.

In shock, I immediately turn around to see Claire and Ashley holding a pan of cake with a candle on top. They walk closer to me as they continue to sing.

Wait, it's not just a regular birthday cake. It's a brownie birthday cake! They know that brownie is my favorite kind of bakery. And we all know that Claire's brownie is the best!

They really did that. And by the look of Joshy's face, I think he planned all of this.

"Oh my god you guys! Thank you so much!" I beam while they're still singing. The cake is now in front of my face.

"Make a wish!" Claire says excitedly.

I close my eyes and make my wish. I'm not telling you what it is.

Once I'm done, I open my eyes and blow out the candle.

"Wow you guys know me so well!" I tell them, referring to the cake.

"It was all Josh's idea," Ashley explains.

I knew it.

We then eat the cake. It's the best thing I've ever tasted. Their parents aren't home currently. Josh's 3 other sisters are also not home. There are only the four of us.

"Okay so, you lied to me about not being able to come home?" I ask Josh, who's now eating his third slice of the cake. "I thought you actually couldn't come home but changed your mind super last minute."

"I did lie to you. I wanted to surprise you! And I also wanted to make sure you have your favorite homemade brownie cake for your birthday cake!"

"Aw Joshy! You're the sweetest!"

We continue eating and chatting. We put the plates and utensils away. I'm drinking my glass of water next to the fridge. Josh is on his phone, standing next to the kitchen island, leaning to it a little bit.

I finish my glass of water. Josh finally takes his eyes off the phone screen.

"Hey Rach, you wanna go somewhere?"

"Where?"

"I don't know. Wherever you want. I kinda wanna spend time with you cause you know... Tomorrow I'm going back to Salt Lake."

My eyes widen a little. I almost forgot. I only have tonight to be with him before he goes back.

"Alright, but I don't know where we should go or what we should do."

"We'll... Think about it in the car," he points with his thumb.

I chuckle. "Okay."

He smiles before turning around and start walking away. That smile. That smile is the cutest smile he's ever put on his face.

"I'll catch you guys later," I say to Ashley and Claire, which they both respond with nods and okays.

I follow behind him, grabbing my backpack from the couch in the living room. He takes the car key from the key holder and opens the front door. His glare goes back and forth from me, to the outside, and back to me again, signaling me to go out first.