𝐈𝐈𝐈. Chapter 53: "Get it off!"

Space

'HEY Y'ALL! PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THE RUBBERBAND MAN!'

    "Sing it Drax," Peter Quill calls out, down on the lower level, Drax is asleep and snoring.

'YOU'RE BOUND TO lOSE CONTROL WHEN THE RUBBERBAND STARTS TO JAM,' Gamora lips sing.

Rocket yawns tiredly in his chair, "Why are we doing this again?"

Gamora turns her head, the music fades, "It's a distress signal, Rocket. someone could be dying," 

    "I get that, but why are we doing it?"

     "Cause we're nice. And maybe, whoever it is will give us a Lil' cheddar cheese for our efforts," Peter smirks, rubbing his fingers together in a greedy manner. 

Gamora points a finger at him, "Which isn't the point,"

     "Which isn't the point!... I mean, if he doesn't pony up..." Peter trials off.

     "We take his ship," Drax says, 

Gamora shoots him a look, which Peter ignores.

     "B-B-B-Bingo!" he yells in a nod, 

     "-Exactly!" Rocket says,

     "We are arriving," Mantis announces,

     "All right, Guardians. Don't forget this might be dangerous. So let's put on our mean faces," Peter says,

The beeping of Groot's video game was a huge distraction, Peter glances over his shoulder, "Groot, put that thing away, now. I don't wanna tell you again," When he got no reply, he says, "Groot," in order to get his attention.

Groot glared at the back of Peter's head before staring back at his game, "I am Groot," He replies.

Everyone turns to Groot, protesting loudly, "Woah!" Peter yells, "Language!" Rocket remarks,

      "Got some acorns on you, kid," Peter replies.

Rocket turned in his seat, glaring at Groot, "Ever since you got a little sap, you're a total d-hole! Keep it up, I'm gonna smash the thing into pieces!"

They exited hyperdrive, coming to a scene of destruction. 

Mantis leans forward in her seat, "What happened?" She questions.

     "Oh my god," Peter whispers, sickened by the grueling sight. Bodies floated freely in space, scraps of metal floating about as well, some knocking into the Benatar as the flew closer to the ship.

Rocket glances at Peter, "Looks like we're not getting paid,"

Before anyone could do or say anything else, a body is slammed into their windshield, frightening everyone. 

Rocket cries out in disgust, waving his hand around, "Wipers! Wipers!" Rocket cries, "Get it off!"

The guardians gather around the table. They staring down at their unwanted guest.

     "How the hell is this dude still alive?" Peter asks.

     "He is not a dude. You're a dude. this-this is a man...A handsome, muscular man," He finishes.

Peter squints and points to his chest, "I'm muscular,"

     "Who are you kidding, Quill? You're one sandwich away from fat." Rocket shoots back. 

Peter rolls his eyes, "Yeah right," He replies.

     "It's true. You have put on weight," Drax says. 

Peters' eyes widen, "What?" He questions. Drax nods, patting under his own chin and his stomach.

Mantis places her hands on Thor's forehead her antlers begin to glow, "He is anxious...angry. He feels tremendous loss and guilt," She says looking up at the other guardians.

     "It's like a pirate and a baby with an angel," Drax comments lowly. 

     "Wow...sorta like a wakeup call. All right, okay. I'm gonna get a Bowflex. I'm gonna commit. I'm gonna get some dumbbells," Peter says scrunching his lips.

    "You know you can't eat dumbbells, right?" Rocket asks.

Gamora glided her hand up the man's forearm, "It's like his muscles are made out of Cotati metal fiber,"

     "Stop playing with his muscles," Peter tries hiding his jealous tone.

Gamora lets his forearm slide from her grasp.

Peter looks at Mantis, "Wake him up," He orders. Mantis obliges, bending down and gently placing her hand on his forehead and with one simple word like "Wake," Thor springs up from the table. He stumbles forward and crashing into the wall. 

His breathing labored as he slowly, he turns around to face the guardians. The guardians had all of their weapons trained at the stranger.

He eyed each one cautiously before asking, "Who the hell are you guys?"