IV. Chapter 87: "Why would I ever Let go?"

U.S. North-com Command Center

"What just happened?" Swanwick asks.

"The ship just split in two. Track one is heading east, track two is deploying towards the Southern Hemisphere," An analysts says.

"How fast is that bogey moving?" Swanwick asks.

"Approaching Mach 24 and accelerating. It looks like it's gonna impact somewhere in the South Indian Ocean,"

They watched the screen.

"The rest of the ship is descending,"

"Put it on the board, now," Swanwick orders, "Yes, sir," She replies and with a push of the button the image is now on the main screen, showing the Black Zero ship hovering over the city of metropolis.

༻✦༺
Kent Farm

Smallville

"Lois, I think you should stay here," Sarah says.

"What? No. I'm going,"

Sarah crosses her arms, "Lois," she says sternly.

"I'm going, Freedom, and that's final,"

Sarah rolls her eyes in disagreement, but ultimately gives in. No use having this debate with someone so presistant. "You are really determined, but this is not just some big shot chance for a newspaper article, this is real life and you could loose yours," Sarah says,

"I'm aware,"

     "You have true courage to put the truth on paper," Sarah looks over to Kal and Martha. "and even more so for keeping his identity,"

Lois sends a playful smile, Sarah's way, "Don't forget. I'm keeping yours too," Lois walks off Just before Sarah can mumble, "It's strange. I've never had to hide my identity, Everyone knows who I am, better yet, knew,"

༻✦༺

Black Zero

Metropolis, Deleware

"Bring the Phantom Drive online!" Zod says as they powered up the ship's Phantom Drive and it shot a beam of energy straight down through the ground, which made its way through the earth to the World Engine on the other side of the world.

The World Engine then turned on as it began released gas and smoke and the gravity field around it began to increase. "We are now connected to the World Engine," One of Zod's engineer's says.

     "Initiate," Zod says as the engineer imputed the command. The World Engine then began releasing its gravity field through the center of the earth and to the main ship near Metropolis and the environment around both the ship and the world engine began to change into that of Krypton's. The gravity field was also increasing the gravity pull of the Earth and would continue until it was that of Krypton's.

༻✦༺

U.S. Northcom Command Center

"What did they just hit us with?" Swanwick asks Dr. Hamilton.

"Some kind of gravity weapon. It's working in tandem with their ship. Somehow they're increasing the Earth's Mass, and clouding the atmosphere with particulates," Dr. Hamilton says as he watched the screen and then realized what they were doing. "Oh my god. They're terraforming,"

"What's that?" Captain Ferris asks.

"Planetary engineering. Modifying the Earth's atmosphere and topography," Dr. Hamilton says.

"They're turning Earth into Krypton," Swanwick says.

"But what happens to us?" Captain Ferris asks.

"Based on these readings...there won't be an us," Dr. Hamilton says as one of the analysts answered the phone and stood up to address General Swanwick.

"General Swanwick, sir. I'm on with the control tower. Colonel Hardy's on his way in and he's got Superman and Freedom in tow," The analyst says.

"Superman? Freedom?" Swanwick asks.

"The aliens, sir. That...that's what they're calling them, Superman and Freedom,"

༻✦༺

Peterson Air Force Base

Colorado, USA

A military helicopter lowers Kal's Pod onto the tarmac,

"We have a plan, General," Sarah says,

"Is that what I think it is?" Dr. Hamilton questions,

"Yes, It is the ship that Superman arrived in," Sarah confirms,

"Do you have one similar to his?" The Doctor questions astoundingly.

Confusion etches itself on Sarah's face, "I don't have a ship, I was born here, on earth," She clarifies for all of them slowly.  Honesty, she's getting tired of explaining what they already should know.

'Brooklyn,'

The thought echos in Swanwick's mind.

Swanwick winces when a child's pearcing scream takes over his thoughts.

'Let me go!'

He watches through the eyes a young female, she begins to squirm in the arms of two heavily armored men.

'I said let.me.go!'

A fist gets planted into one of the mens face, She managed to get what of her hands loose. J'onn mentally winces, When he hears a scream. The Darkness ends and he's now looking at the view of a metal ceiling.

'Wipe her, she mustn't remember anything,'

She muffles a scream when the pain hits her. If J'onn didn't let go of her mind he probably screamed aswell.

"Doctor Hamilton nows not the time," General Swanwick says, gripping his head as if he was having a headache.

"This ship is run by something called a Phantom drive, it bends space. Zod's ship uses the same technology and if we can make the two drives collide with one other-" Superman trails off.

"A singularity can be created,"

"Exactly," Sarah confirms.

"So, if we open up this doorway, then theoretically they should be pulled back in," Superman finishes.

"you...you want us bomb them with that?" Dr. Hamilton questions.

"General, if that craft maxes out seventeen thousand pounds, we can drop it from a C-17. It's a viable plan," General Hardy speaks up.

Superman turns to Swanwick, "And that machine over the Indian Ocean? the gravity field will continue to expand if it doesn't get stopped," Swanwick hesitates for a moment, he can't get a read on Superman, but Sarah's minds perfectly clear. They mean well so, he reluctantly nods his head agreeing to the plan.

Superman steps a few feet away them, getting enough distance away from Sarah and Lois before he tries to shoot up in the sky. Sarah grips his forearm gently, causing him to look down at her, "You said your powers come from earth. The world engine is making Earth like Krypton, You will be weaker around it or worse, powerless,"

"Maybe. I'm not about to let that stop me from trying,"

"Stop 'us' from trying," Kal raises his eyebrows at Sarah's emphasis on the word 'us', "You thought I would let you do this alone?"

Superman looks to the sky, "No," he holds out his hand. The second Sarah's hand touches his, Clark gently pulls her into his chest, "Hold on,"

     'Why would I let go?'

The thought passes through j'onn mind just before they shot up into the Sky.