VI. Chapter 118: "It looked, expensive,"

Sarah's Apartment

Metropolis, Delaware

     "I found a place. By the diner. Suits me just fine," Martha says, Sarah walks over to her with two cups of coffee. Her attention turns to the television at the mention of 'Amazon', "Shrine of the Amazons...An enormous bonfire, right behind me, baffling everyone, from locals, to government authorites alike. The fire could be seen for miles on end,"

Martha eyes Sarah, "You're staring at that thing like you know what it means," She says then notices Sarah's expression never fading, "Well, do you know what it means?"

     "Steppenwolf," Sarah mumbles. She thought this day would never come, could this be what Alfred was calling about? Sarah shakes out of her daze, going back to what Martha was initially talking about, "You could've told me,"

     "Oh, no. I got behind in the payments. And you know the banks. Jump like a cougar if you miss by a dime," She shakes her head, eyes falling to her lap,"Place was too big for me anyway. Shuffling around, like an old ghost. Well, I have been able to, talk to someone, or...You had to deal with, don't need to add mother-in-law to the list," Martha's eyes widden as she looks up to face Sarah, "Not that I was ever..."

Sarah swallows the lump in her throat, "You are," She states simply with a saddened smile. "I would've said yes...I was ready, you know? to settle down. I knew what I wanted..." She trails on shaking her head.

     "And now?"

     "Now, I...I want to find a way home,"

     "There's still stuff for you here,"

     "All reminders...Everyone I love-" She couldn't manage to think about Clark...or Pietro...or the rest of her family left to fend against the mad titan alone.

Martha shakes her head in disapproval, "That shouldn't stop you from living. Being in this apartment all day? You should be out there, saving people," She takes a deep breathe in, "it's what Clark would've wanted you to do,"

ʚ✯ɞ

Batcave

Disclosed Location

Tinkering with his ship, Bruce had gone through several different sirens before he heard the right one, "That one," his gestures his rench towards the computer screen.

     "Pretty sure that's what made the alien go crazy,"

      "I'll see about rigging something for the suit...won't be quick" Alfred points out.

     "Anything to give me an edge," He says getting back to the ship,

The room went silent, that is until the clicking of heels made it's way towards Bruce, he didn't have to look down to know who its is, "You know, I paid millions of dollars for this building's security,"

      "Yeah. It looked, expensive," Diana mumbles.

Bruce turns, resting his arms on the railings. He smiles down at her, "Hi," he says.

Diana admires the ship, "A New toy?" she questions.

     "Prototype troop carrier,"

Diana crosses her arms, "I once knew a man who would have loved to fly it,"

     "We're going to need more than a pilot.  I think there's an attack coming." He answers with a serious tone.

Diana brought her eyes back to his, matching his gaze, "Not coming, Bruce, It's already here,"

- ʚ✯ɞ -

      "They called him Steppenwolf, The End of Worlds. He lived only to conquer...Millions fell before his blade and rose  as his Parademons. Nightmare creatures, who feed on fear,"

     "Just met one," Neither Bruce, nor Diana said this, instead it was someone new to the conversation.

The pair look up, hovering above them, none other than J'onn, J'onzz in his martian form.

     "How did you find us?" Bruce questions, watching the Martian as he decends, planting his feet on the grass.

      "Your minds aren't hard to read," He points out, "These Parademons, only thought of one thing..."J'onn trails on.

      "The Mother Boxes," Diana finishes.

      "Mother Boxes? so, that's what they're called, they contain some kind of power?" Bruce questions.

     "They don't 'contain' power, They 'are' power," Diana enlightens Bruce, "They combine to form the unity,"

'What does that mean?'

     "What I'm getting from Diana? it not only destroy's worlds, but transforms them into the  hell's gate of Steppenwolf's birthworld,"

Bruce interupts, "Okay?...Stop reading my mind," he was getting really frustrated with it.

     "That is correct," Diana confrims J'onn's previous statement, "And in order to defeat Steppenwolf, Amazon's, Atlanteans and Man, formed their own unity. With them Fighting side by side, he retreated and in his retreat, he swore our alliance would crumble. That darkness would cover the Earth and that he would return when it did,"

J'onn tilts his head towards Diana,"You think the world has succumed to this darkness?" he asks her.

Diana sighs, "With the death of Superman, the world was left in fear. That accumulative fear is what awoken the box in Themyscira, leading Steppenwolf straight for it," she thought for a moment, "-This time he's going for the Boxes first, he's not making the same mistake he did last time," Diana mumbles.

     "Something tells me we can't get the band back together,"

She nods, "The Atlantean's were forced under the sea, And the Amazons, to an island they can never leave,"

     "I wouldn't count on the tribes of men, either," J'onn says.

     "I agree," Bruce turns towards The Martian, "We tend to act like the doomsday clock has a snooze button...How long do we-?"

     "Days...at most," Diana responds.

Bruce's phone vibrates in his pocket.

    "I got a location for one of our recruits...Barry Allen," He replies after checking his phone.

    "What abour the other one?," Diana farrows her eyebrows,  "Victor Stone?"

     "I hope you two could dig him up.

Diana sighs, "We're asking people we don't know to risk their  lives," Diana says in concern.

     "I know...That's how this works," Bruce walks passed them,

J'onn eyes Diana questionably, wondering if she also senses someone else is here.

'someone else is here,'

His voice enters Diana's mind.

'I believe it to be Victor Stone,' J'onn concludes.

'I'm aware,'

Diana thinks as she eyes her surroundings.