𝐈𝐈𝐈. Chapter 67: "He needs the Axe"

Rocket flies the pod over to a section on one of the outer rings. Thor leaps down from the pod.

Rocket says, "I don't think you get the scientific here. These rings are gigantic. You want to get them moving, you'll need something a lot bigger to yank 'em loose!"

     "Leave it to me," Thor replies.

     "Leave it to you?... Buddy, you're in space. All you've got is a rope and a-" he's suddenly cut off when the pod is whipped around.

Thor seises the spin and yells, "Fire the engines!" To rocket.

Rocket recovers and shoves the throttles to maximum power. The pod streaks across the center of the rings Slowly, the ice around the rings preventing the contraction from moving breaks off.

Straining hard against the cable, "More power, rabbit!" Thor shouts and Rocket tries to get some more thrust.

Finally, their hard work pays off. All ice shatters, and the rings begin to move.

It takes a minute for the rings to slide into the position, but When they do, the star quickly flares up, illuminating all of Nivaldir, "Well done, boy," Eitri says with a proud smile, but it quickly fades when the mechanism holding open the iris breaks, "Damn it!" Eitri curses.

     "Damn it? What's 'Damn it'?" Rocket asks.

     "The mechanism is crippled," Eitri announces.

    "What?" Thor questions.

     "With the iris closed, I can't heat the metal," Eitri adds.

     "How long will it take to heat it?" Thor asks.

     "A few minutes. Maybe more. Why?" Eitri questions.

After a moment of silence, Thor replies, "I'm gonna hold it open,"

     "that's suicide," Eitri warns

     "So is facing Thanos without that axe," Thor retorts, leaping off the pod and floating towards the iris.

Thor takes a few deep breaths as he positions himself between the two levers to open the iris.

He stares out into space, "All fathers, give me strength," He whispers.

As a last warning, "You understand, boy? You're about to take the full force of a star. It'll kill you," Eitri says.

     "Only if I die," Thor responds.

     "Yes. That's what killing you means," Eitri replies in confusion.

Thor reaches out and grasps the handles before taking one last breath he pulls as hard as he can.

Slowly the iris opens. And shoots the star's energy shoots towards the forge passing through Thor, "Hold it! Hold it, Thor!" Eitri shouts.

While Thor responds agonizing pain, Eitri manages to turn the wheel and the Uru pours into the mold.

Unable to hold on any longer, Thor lets go and the iris' close. Thor hits one of the poles hanging from the ceiling and comes crashing down onto the floor of the forge. Rocket lands the Pod and Groot finally looks up from his game.

Oliver has been watching the metal pour into the mold, and Eitri rotating the crucible back up, though he notices that Eitri has left a little metal left in the crucible. But, the moment he sees Thor hit the ground, he dashes towards his friend.

Getting out the Pod, "Thor! Say something. Come on," Rocket says kneeling down to Thor, "Thor you okay?" He questions in concern once more.

Eitri pulls the mold to the ground and begins smashing it in order to free the axe.

Rocket calls to Eitri, "I think he's dying!"

     "He needs the axe!" Eitri responds, desperately searching for Storm breakers handle.

    "Where's the handle? Tree, help me find the handle!" Eitri shouts.

Groot looks to Thor, then the two halves of Stormbreaker.

Determination floods through Groot. He sets the game down and walks over to the halves of Stormbreaker. His fingers lengthen and begin to wrap themselves around the two halves. The heat burns Groot, he groans in pain as he uses his branches to fuse the halves together. He rises the axe up with a battle cry, he chops his arm off at the elbow. Storm-breaker falls with a thud to the floor.