𝐈𝐈𝐈. Chapter 62: "What more could I lose?"

Thor, Rocket, and Groot are in the pod they borrowed from the Milano. They head for Nidavellir. Thor stands in the back of the pod, staring out of the window out into the void of space, while Rocket pilots the ship.

     "I am Groot," Groot says suddenly.

     "Tinkle in the cup," Rocket replies, "We're not looking. What's there to see? What's a twig? Everybody's seen a twig before,"

     "I am Groot," Groot exclaims.

     "Then pour what's in the cup out into space," Thor says turning to Groot, "and go in the cup again,"

    "You Speak Groot?" Rocket asks turning the Pilots seat around.

Looking back outside the window,"Yes," He replies and continues, "they taught it on Asgard. It was an elective."

     "I am Groot?" Groot asks

     "You'll know when we're close," Thor replies looking down for a second before walking towards them, "Nidavellir's forge harnesses the blazing power of a neutron star,"

     "It's the birthplace of my hammer," Thor added after he sat down, "It's truly awesome,"

     "Okay," rocket sighed before he unbuckled himself, "time to be the captain,"

He then walked towards a portion of the pod and pressed a few holographic buttons on a wall panel, "So," Rocket began, "dead brother huh? Yeah, that could be annoying,"

     "Well," Thor started, "He's been dead before...But, no," Thor admits,"this time I think it really might be true," He finishes sadly.

     "And you said your sister and your dad?" Rocket asks walking towards him.

     "Both dead," Thor replies.

      "But still got a mom, though?" Rocket questions.

     "Killed by a dark elf?" Thor says.

     "A best friend?" 

     "Stabbed through the heart," Thor said.

Rocket's eyes sadly look up, "You sure you're up to this particular murder mission?" Rocket asked.

"Absolutely," Thor grins, "Rage and vengeance, anger, loss, regret... they're all tremendous motivators. They really clear the mind," Thor continued, "so I'm good to go,"

     "Yeah," Rocket agrees,"but this Thanos we're talkin' about... he's the toughest there is,"

     "Well," Thor replied grinning, "He's never fought me,"

     "Yeah, he has." Rocket counters.

     "Well, He's never fought me twice and I'm getting a new hammer, don't forget."

     "It better be some hammer," Rocket says skeptically,

A tear forms in his good eye, "You know," Thor began, "I'm 1,500 years old. I've killed twice as many enemies as that. And every one of them would've rather killed me, but none succeeded. I'm only alive because fate wants me alive. Thanos is just the latest in a long line of bastards and he'll be the latest to feel my vengeance. Fate wills it so,"

     "Mmm-hmm," Rocket says still skeptical, "and what if you're wrong?"

     "If I'm wrong...Then... what more could I lose?" He questions wiping the stray tear from his eye. He then stiffens and stands up leaving Rocket talking to himself, "I could lose a lot," Rocket muttered to himself, "Me, personally, I could lose a lot."

After that, Rocket walked back towards the pilot's seat handing a bionic eye to Thor who had sat down in the chair next to Groot. Just after Thor put the eye in, the alarm started announcing they had arrived at Nidavellir.

     "I don't think this thing works," Thor says after swatting the side of his head a couple of times, "Everything seems dark,"

     "It ain't the eye," Rocket replies.

Thor stands up, "Something's wrong," Thor says, "The star's gone out...And the rings are frozen," Thor adds.

Nividalir

Thor examines the sight ahead of them as they close in, "Something's wrong. The star's gone, The rings are frozen," Thor says.

Rocket pilots the pod over to an entrance in the outer ring, slowly setting it down among some equipment. The three exit the pod and start walking around the quiet forge, "I hope these dwarves are better at forging than they are at cleaning. Maybe they realized they live in a junk pile in the middle of space," Rocket says as he looks around.

     "This forge hasn't gone dark in centuries," Thor mutters.

Rocket looks around a corner, then asks Thor, "You said Thanos had a gauntlet, right?" Spotting a gauntlet.

     "Yes, why?" Thor asks back.

     "It looks anything like that?" Rocket asks. Thor looks in the direction Rocket is looking, and see a model of a gauntlet.

Thor's demeanor changes, "Back to the pod. Now!" He orders.

When Thor turns around, he is kicked by a shadowy figure that topples him in size. He flies into some equipment.

     "Eitri, wait! Stop!" Thor calls out.

The massive figure, stands there for a moment before replying, "Thor?" He questions.

     "What happened?" Thor asks.

     "You were supposed to protect us! Asgard was supposed to protect us!" Eitri responds painfully.

Holding his hands up, "Asgard is destroyed," Thor responds.

Eitri looks surprised by this information, taking this as a truce Thor slowly regains his footing and, pointing the model of the gauntlet, asks, "Eitri. The glove. What did you do?" Thor questions and Eitri lowers his fist.

He stumbles away from Thor before collapsing against a shelf, "Three hundred dwarves lived on this ring. I thought if I did what he asked, they'd be safe. I made what he wanted. A device capable of harnessing the power of the Stones. Then he...then he killed everyone anyway. All except me," Eitri says sadly, "'Your life is yours,' he said. 'But your hands...your hands are mine alone,'" Eitri holds up his hands, encased in the metal.

     "Eitri this isn't about your hands. Every weapon you've ever designed, every axe, hammer, sword...it's all inside your head. Now I know it feels like all hope is lost. Trust me, I know, but together, you and I, we can kill Thanos."