Golden Dreams

Taehyung blinked at me, and I felt his fingertips slide over my skin as he took his hand away from mine.

"Oh," he said, disappointment overflowing from his voice. "I see..."

The man stepped away from me, obviously hurt. Obviously sad.

"Tae-"

"I get it... velike oči," Taehyung said, sheepishly scratching the back of his neck. He pursed his lips, suddenly looking like a fish out of water without his usual perfect charm.

"You don't wish to be like us... and I understand, truly, I do."

Taehyung tried out a smile and a chuckle, but they didn't seem very genuine. "If I felt like I had a choice... I would've had a big family with six kids by now..."

My face fell and I edged towards Taehyung again, grabbing onto the man's arm and looking into his eyes as I spoke. "But you could try Tae... if you focus on following the right path... if you stop your desires from controlling-"

The groundskeeper pulled his arm away from me, and the way he did it, as if he couldn't bear my touch, suddenly made me feel repulsive.

"You really are just like Jimin sometimes," the man mumbled, keeping his eyes far away from mine. "I can't change Jungkook. I like men... I've always liked men and I don't hide from it. Pretending isn't going to make me happy and it never will. I don't want to live my life in a hell of lies just for the possibility of seeing heaven when I die."

I backed away, stunned speechless as the fire in Taehyung's eyes scared me too much to speak further.

The groundskeeper took a deep breath and coamed a hand through his hair, removing the little white daisy that was tucked behind his ear in the process.

The man played with the flower in his hands and stared at it in deep thought.

"I hope you find that happy ever after you're looking for velike oči..." he said at a hushed tone. "I hope the mask you want to wear will fit you one day..."

Taehyung looked at me and curled his lips up, somehow looking cheerful as if I hadn't just turned him down. He smiled at me like a friend, and I felt dreadful, because I missed the way he used to look at me as if I was so much more than that. Like I was special instead of just a stupid strange kid. I felt like I had disappointed him... and then I realised... I had.

"I'm sorry Tae..." was all I could come up with, my cracked heart begging me to stop ripping myself away from someone I wanted to be close with.

"I told you it's okay didn't I?" Taehyung said, his words fitting a more irritated tone though the man sounded calm and gentle.

Taehyung lingered in my room as I stayed quiet, before backing up in silence and leaving for the door.

"Tae..." I said as the groundskeeper placed his hand on the doorhandle.

Taehyung looked at me with curious eyes.

"There are these things I need for mister Park's pocketwatch..." I said, my voice barely audible. "I... I was wondering if you could maybe pick them up in the nearby town tomorrow... I could ask Jin or Namjoon if you're busy but... they don't like doing their job much so..."

Taehyung looked a little taken aback by my question, only blinking at me before perking up the corner of his lips. "Ofcourse," he said. "I was heading there to pick up some stuff anyways."

The man opened the door, and I couldn't read from how he behaved of he was angry at me. I didn't want him to hate me. But it was okay if he did. I let him charm me... I gave in to his flirts... and then I turned him down.