The Watchmaker

I crossed the busy street, hurrying not to get run over by a car as I wrapped myself inside the coat I managed to borrow from a passenger on the ship.

The edge of the city was crowded, like ants people were hurrying to get around, running from place to place like time was spinning out of control. Lucky me, I thought, as I no longer owned a clock to drive me crazy in that oh so torturous way.

I walked along the broken down terrace houses, rows of forgotten homes right next to the city where the poor seemed to have taken over the area. Windows were smashed, doors had fallen off their hinges and I knew no one would ever think of settling down at such a place if they had the kind of money I had given Taehyung.

I sighed. No one but the flowerboy...

I pulled an uneasy expression, seeing as the place Taehyung had bought for us was located right next to a looted and abandoned shop that had rats coming in and out of it as if they had moved into the property and claimed it as theirs.

I stared at the front door of my soon to be home, the rusty golden numbers that spelled thirteen not making me feel much better about the place.

I took a deep breath of the freezing air and fixed my coat, though I knew that no matter how much I'd try to appear presentable, I'd still look like a man who'd traveled to hell and back.

I swallowed dryly, waiting for just a moment before bringing my hand up, gently knocking against the door as if I didn't want Taehyung to hear me.

I quickly buried my hands in my pockets, wondering if perhaps it was best to run now. If there was still a chance the devil would receive me if I just turned around and left.

My feet ached to start moving so I did, I frantically began looking around to find a new destination, tears already burning in my eyes before I'd even taken a step, but the door swung open, and I finally heard that voice I'd missed more than a good night sleep.

"Velike oči?"

I bit my lips, shrinking as I was too afraid to turn back right away.

"Jungkook?"

Like a butterfly leaving it's cocoon, I dared to face Taehyung, though I only spared the man a glance and cowered before him.

I said nothing, knowing my voice would  rebel against my mind if I did.

I was tensed like my body was preparing itself for a beating, and I pressed my eyes shut, wishing myself away.

Two arms wrapped around me, and I whimpered when Taehyung shot himself at me like a canon ball flying towards it's target.

He instantly began to cry, pressing me closely against him, burying his face in the crook of my neck, sniffing against my skin and letting his hot breath warm my body that I hadn't realised had turned so icy cold.

His fingers tangled into my hair when he leaned back to look at me. He hadn't changed much. His auburn locks were only a little longer but as always a tangled mess, and he wore clothes that made him look like a handsome homeless man, though I hadn't expected much else.

The man frowned at me, his chocolate eyes darting across my face as I could only blink at Taehyung, who for some reason seemed glad to see me, overjoyed even.

Taehyung chuckled at me, cupping my face with adoration I did not deserve in the slightest. He ignored my lack of words, my lack of emotion, and he kissed the top of my head with closed eyes.

There were things we had to talk about. Things we had to cry about and fight about. But for now the man was only glad. He was only relieved. He took it slow just like he'd always done, and I would follow his lead.