A Shameful State

Jimin tried his best to bring himself up on his elbows, but the boy's arms kept giving out from underneath him as if the ground was spinning.

"Y-you... you are n-not a killer..." He slurred, slowly shaking his head as his eyes slipped shut. "You are no-n-not like m-me..."

I gulped, my fingers trembling with the intense rush that ambushed my body. The sight of Jimin, laying there in the grass while he should be safely tucked in bed made reality find it's way back to me. The ticks of my clock seemed so much louder now, so much more jarring. It was trying to make me see how reckless I was acting. I had lowered myself to the stable boy's level, like some animal I'd lost my mind.

I released the tie from my hands, stepping away and letting the stable boy gasp for air as he dropped to the ground and coughed, struggling to breath through his sore throat.

I stood rather lost, my mind not comprehending what I had tried to do, and a small, hateful side of me wondering why I hadn't finished the job.

I looked back at Jimin, who was peacefully sleeping on a bed of grass and dandelions, the moonlight illuminating his frail body.

I moved subcontiously. Perhaps listening to my instincts, perhaps a part of my mind that wasn't completely stunned told me what to do. But I blocked out the sounds of Emilio coughing in the background, and picked Jimin up, not surprised at how little the boy weighed though it stung me.

Jimin's arms instantly snaked around my waist as I cradled him, and I didn't pay the stable boy any more attention as I had found a new mission. I dragged my feet through the grass, wincing every so often when pain took my body by surprise.

Once we reached the house again, the warmth inside welcomed us like a hot shower after a cold day.

I climbed the stairs, feeling like a string puppet as I took one step after another, wobbling through the hallway that lead to Jimin's dark room.

I opened the door, carefully shuffled inside not to trip over anything, and  laid Jimin down as if he were an ancient artifact that needed to be treated with delicacy, making sure his head softly landed on his pillow, and his body gently sank into his cloudy matrass.

But when I tried to step away, and retreat to my toom to overthink everything, the boy would not let go of me, his arms staying locked around my waist and leaving me to find the key.

My heart did a small twirl, but I knew I had to go away. Jimin needed to rest for his trip to Italy tomorrow.

A bitter feeling crept up inside of me at the prospect of having to say goodbye to the boy.

"I... I should leave..." I whispered as if to appease a temperamental child when Jimin pouted his lips.

I lightly tugged at the boy's arms, but he wouldn't let go, moaning in annoyance when I tried to rip myself away from him.

"W-why?" He asked, latching on to my leg instead, holding onto me with quite a grip despite his drunken state.

I couldn't help chuckle. I couldn't help find it endearing. One moment the boy threatened me into leaving, the next he clung to me as if I were of any importance.

"You should rest..." I whispered, trying to get loose once again.

"D-don't... don't l-leave," Jimin mumbled quietly after I succesfully freed myself from his hands once again.

"I.. I don... don't wanna... be alone..."

The young millionaire pried his eyes open, laying completely still as his eyes glazed with tears, and my heart asked me if I truly had the strength in me to leave the boy there. In the darkness. All alone.