A Gift Of Flight

A man is not an angel if you give him wings.

He holds not the key to the heavens, nor the gift of the divine, nor the grandeur of the almighty. He is still a man, but he is a man who know has the potential to become so much more than ever anticipated. He has the potential to soar across the clouds. To be free.

To fly.

When I gave Park Jimin my wings, it did not make him an angel. It made him a man who had a choice. A man whose future loomed before him, malleable and possible. A man who could do whatever he wanted- who could be whatever he wanted.

It made him a man who could fly away from me.

And I should've known that was exactly what he would do.

~~

I woke in the morning in an empty bed. I knew I needed to rise, but I could not bring myself to do anything but stare at the ceiling and pretend like I was looking up at the eyes of angels above me. It did nothing to lessen the weight on my chest however, my lungs compressed by the weight of so many years wasted. I pressed my hands against my eyes to keep the inevitable tears at bay. Thoughts of the night before gripping at me with their rotten claws, until numb indifference turned to sharp regret.

Jimin had been quiet when he returned from his walk, only celebrating lacklusterly with Taehyung and I once I broke the news about the art gallery. I had tried to view the situation from his perspective, tried to understand his state of being that I was surely misunderstanding, yet it only confused me more. I did not know if he was angry with me, or perhaps upset, or simply relieved that he no longer needed to tolerate my undesired affection.

I had spent the night, bemused and desperate, clinging to Taehyung if only to have a small bit of familiar comfort.

When it was time to sleep, Jimin curled up into a ball with his back turned to me. And it had ached terribly. He did not want me near him. After everything we had been and I thought we could be, he did not want me near him, and I only wished I could have known why.

I sighed and ran my hands through my hair, pushing myself up off the bed. I trudged to the bathroom and showered quickly, acting out the motions of my morning routine without stopping once to consider them.

I poured myself a cup of coffee in the kitchen, the keys to my watchmaking shop in my hand as I prepared to go open up for the day.

But something catched my eye.

I paused, setting down my mug to study the small piece of paper with neatly looped writing. I needed a moment to decipher the words, but when I did my already uneasy stomach dropped.

Jungkook,

You once told me that you would never leave my side. You were right. You haven't, because you are simply too kind to see my true faults, and though I do not deserve it, I love that about you Tesoro. I truly do love that about you.

But that does not mean that I do not have to leave anyway.

I had thought my days of selfishness were behind me, but I was wrong. Coming here, forcing you to care for me, taking away the life you had established for yourself. It was selfish. All of it. You should not have to allow the past to haunt you, and I am perhaps the greatest phantom of all. For days you treated me with kindness, and I can never thank you enough. I know I have been nothing but an illness onto your life, but you truly have helped me despite the fact. I know I did not, nor will I ever, deserve your warmth, but thank you for giving it to me anyway. It made me feel, for the first time in a long while, that I was not alone.